Soffits and Fascia

Further: what do you do at the eaves when you come to the barge board where the bottom tile is bedded on a cement fillet?
And going up the barge board itself, i assume that you dont disturb the overhanging fillet and bedded tiles.

Sponsored Links
--tom said:
Do you move the scaffolding around the building or do you scaff. the whole structure?
It's the safest way of doing it.
I'm interested in problems of accessibility and what difficulties you encounter in removing and replacing the bottom rows of slate or tile, and what about hip tiles that bear on the fascia?
I take it that on a semi there's some sound method of stop-ending at a neighbours fascia?
No need to remove bottom row of tiles, if the old fascia need replacing the bottom row of tiles will drop slightly and can be push back up with the new fascia board.
Further: what do you do at the eaves when you come to the barge board where the bottom tile is bedded on a cement fillet?
And going up the barge board itself, i assume that you dont disturb the overhanging fillet and bedded tiles.
The bottom tiles that's bedded is normally cement to the undercloat board so you should'nt have any problem

If you want add onto your post or edit, just use the
icon_edit.gif
on your post

there is no need for scaffold on most jobs

average 2 story i never use scaffold on its all done off good ladders.

the bargeboards look to see how much of a overhang is on the slate/tile, if too little you need to use replacementboard.you want to leave an inch as a min.if when pulling off the old boarding you loosing some mortor just point it up before replacing the boarding.

when doing your angle at the apex take a small piece of fascia up to the apex and sit hard against the wood marking off, remember very unusual to have standard angles so just take a small bit up square to the board edge mark/bring down and use as a template.

then pin your first board and then repeat for the second.

Always ALWAYS do soffits before fascias, also when doing soffits remember there never the same measurement on monst houses especialy ones with age.

what i do is temp pin my soffit board then mark it right along the fascia, bring down and cut (use a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade)

then take it back up and pin it, alternatively cut the cladding sheets if your wanting t&g width ways each section and then pin like that measuring as you go.

This is a 100% job for two quite impossible on your own remember the fascia and soffit boards are 5 metres in length.

remember also to pin from a finished edge ie a jointer or to the fascia on the other side working your way to your buddy on the other ladder.NEVER BOTH STARt PINNING, or you will end up with the board not tight to the soffit and a bow in it.

To be honest i wouldnt reccomend doing this job yourself unless your pretty handy and even then like everything practice makes perfect.After all i didint and all fitters didnt learn the job overnight.best to start on something easy like a fascia along your garage or somethign and build up to box sections ect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back