1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Soil pipe boss connector strap seal and replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by DIYRuthie, 12 Sep 2020.

1. DIYRuthie

DIYRuthie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    IMG_20200908_204959.jpg Hi all!

Got my dad down this weekend to help me sort out a leaking boss strap, and potentially make another one redundant.

The bottom one used to be used for the washing machine waste, but a new layout will mean that I either put a sharp corner straight out of the connector, or I connect it to the sink trap and make that one redundant. Anyone know if you can get 'bungs' for boss straps? The builders just shoved a plastic bag in there!

The top one is leaking, so we need to remove and replace. Any suggestions to make this a smooth process?

So, two questions:
    1. Ease of changing a boss strap, and any tips on this
    2. Any way to make another one redundant. A bung, or filling with something? Denso?!

Cheers

Ruth

2. Sponsored Links
  3. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ideally you want to cut out and replace the section of 4" that has the 2 strap on bosses on it then start again with a coupling, a slip coupling and a solvent weld boss pipe coupling... Might be able to use that in place of the non-slip coupling.

Else you'll have to try and carefully chisel off the existing strap on's (as they should be glued all the way round); rub down the 4" with sandpaper and glue on new strap-ons with a rodding access cap on the redundant one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. blup

blup

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would solvent weld a spare piece of soil pipe (or other plastic) onto the redundant hole.

And use the angle connector, rather than tap in to the other pipe.

Blup

• Thanks Thanks x 1