Soil Pipe leaking In Wall (Lead to Plastic) !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have a leak in their kitchen ceiling that only occurs after the bathroom toilet has been flushed and the leak is directly below where the toilet is situated. The bathroom is located on the first floor and the kitchen (extended 30 years ago) extends out as a single storey from below the bathroom external wall (hope that makes sense).

The bathroom has a low level WC pan and cistern. The pan discharges into a horizontal 110mm plastic soil pipe which passes through the wall. However, the pipe exiting the otherside of the wall (just above the lead flashing of the kitchen extension flat roof) is an old lead soil pipe that runs down at approx 45 degrees into a cast iron stack.

I assume the leak is coming from the joint between the plastic and lead soil pipes but the joint is inside the wall and neither visible or accessible internally or externally. The internal wall is a finished tiled wall and the external wall (where the lead soil pipe exits) is also a finished wall.

Can anyone please suggest how we go about accessing and fixing the leak. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Pictures- pah - Psychic Nige can see into your walls :eek: There will be a Multikwik connector between the plastic and the lead - maybe even with the multi. spigot outside instead of inside the lead pipe ;) There will be the leak ;) Consider new tiles on that wall of the bathroom , that`s where you need to go in

Sponsored Links
Might be better to replace lead soil pipe and run new plastic pipe from cast iron branch to w.c? You could chip away at wall around soil pipe, just enough to put it new soil pipe. And to neat up, fit a plastic White collar to cover broken tiles.

Dan.

Buzz, the only way is to cut in from the external wall, remove the lead pipe & replace it with plastic.
HTH

Thanks for the posts. I'd rather sort the problem from the inside if possible as breaking the lead soil pipe out of the external wall and from the cast iron stack seems a tricky job. Additionally, the lead soil pipe goes straight into a 45 degree branch of the cast iron stack but it is all painted so I can't see how it is terminated. Is it soldered and, if so, how would I cleanly remove it from the cast iron branch ?

What I cant understand is why somebody would install a lead to plastic connection soil pipe within a wall as it seems a potential recipe for disaster !

Whichever way I end up solving the problem, it has to be done quickly as it is the only toilet in the house !

With respect to Delta - I`d go from inside and if necessary heat and bell out the lead to take a finned connector inside of the lead pipe . I`d rather sit on a floor and work than off a ladder ;)

With respect to Delta - I`d go from inside and if necessary heat and bell out the lead to take a finned connector inside of the lead pipe . I`d rather sit on a floor and work than off a ladder ;)

Very true mate, but the chances are the lead is shot, or it will be when you put your cold chisel right through it!!!.............. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Take the toilet out and find out what connects the plastic soil pipe to the lead.

Then if its just a slight leak, apply lashings and lashings of plumbers mate to the inside of the joint by inserting your hand down the soil pipe.

It's a bodge, but it'll work for a good few years.[/b]

Very true mate, but the chances are the lead is shot, or it will be when you put your cold chisel right through it!!!.............. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I did wonder if it might have perished - depends on the strength of the liquid going down it - I`ll bet they have Laboratory Grade pipe in Glasgow`s Gents conveniences ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back