Soil pipe leaking out the side when I flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'd be really grateful for any advice. When we flush our top (loft) floor toilet, we get water and toilet roll shreds sprayed all over the offshot kitchen roof, tracking along the soil pipes and into the guttering (and some onto the path above the main door to the house!).

I've not seen anything more substantial than liquid and toilet roll shreds.

It comes out, at some pressure, from the side of the join in the pipe (see short video clip).

What do I need to do, please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Fit a boss adapter and cleaning eye. You'll need to know the make of soil pipe as boss adapters are different sizes for different manufacturers

Looks like its been recently done, get them back and get them to put a grille on top.
The pipe clip below the joint looks twisted and not properly secured and the smaller waste coming from the left looks improperly joined.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211216-180042_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211216-180042_Samsung Internet.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 80
That’s not how to do a downspout either and be careful with the boiler flue, looks close to the pipe.

Sponsored Links
How long has it been like that? Looks to me like the boss was opened to connect the waste, then the waste was rerouted lower down and the boss left open. If you've had someone in to do that, get them back to do it properly.

Personally I'd insist that junction is now replaced, given the height and possible access issues, I wouldn't trust a bung not to fall out at some point in the future, putting you back to square one.....

I've had the house for six years. This has only started happening recently and it's not caused problems before. It's not recently fitted or changed.

I've had the house for six years. This has only started happening recently and it's not caused problems before. It's not recently fitted or changed.
In which case, it sounds like they may have plugged the hole with silicone or something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back