Soil pipe vent in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I moved into a UK new build in March. Discovered a leak on bathroom ceiling. In defect period so contractor came back out yesterday. They had already been once before for the leak and just painted over it didn’t fix the leak.

Asked a male friend to be present today and the contractor finally went into the loft. Discovered that the soil vent pipe was dripping. See photo. They used a flexible pipe to connect it to vent.

Plumber came today to replace with fixed pipe. Is it normal to use duct tape to seal it at the vent like this?

Single female so I’m worried I’m being fobbed off!

Took plumber 5 mins to sort the job.

Attachments

• F1DF107B-B683-4427-92CE-F65B5A21C021.jpeg
    F1DF107B-B683-4427-92CE-F65B5A21C021.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 169
  • D06F31AC-B32A-4B3A-AE3C-06F9C347A01C.png
    D06F31AC-B32A-4B3A-AE3C-06F9C347A01C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
  • 053D33C3-65C5-4D91-BD2B-71CF7B871CFB.jpeg
    053D33C3-65C5-4D91-BD2B-71CF7B871CFB.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links
Just to add, we’ve had frequent toilet blocking issues, water rises then falls again with bubbles.

Could be unconnected but my washing machine recently won’t drain properly, not sure if it’s a fault with the machine or drains.

Could any of this be connected?

Not usual for a soil pipe, but extractor fans yes (which it could be?). Soil and vent pipes don’t carry water in the vent section. As for the toilet, you may have a blocked drain, or an air admittance valve stuck (if it’s not the one in the photo).

Sponsored Links
Toilet blocking issues are an issue with the drainage, being a new build, anything is possible, get the Builders back in to check the drainage, if they cant/wont/dont find anything and problem still recurs, then time to engage a Third Party drainage Company and get them to check (and CCTV if required), the system and provide a report. This should give you the ammunition required to go back to the Builders. Bear in mind the Water Company should Adopt the sewers at some point, but if the issue is on your property, or in a section of drain just serving your property, it would remain your responsibility to sort out. Any concerns, please come back and ask.

Pipework in loft, need to know where it's dripping from. If coming through the vent, then is that connected to the soil stack, in which case it will escape to the drain, or is it connected to the extractor, in which case it needs remedying ASAP? (Shouldn't be any water coming through the vent anyway to my knowledge.) If the water is coming in around the vent, then it hasn't been sealed into the roof correctly, get Builders back out to remedy.

The great thing about paying protection money to say you never make a mistake...is that you never make a mistake...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back