Soil Pipe Vent Full of Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi....

A damp patch on an upstairs bathroom ceiling took me into the loft - I found the source of the leak was a dripping flexible pipe that connects the soil pipe to a vent in the roof.

The outside of the pipe was dry - but inside contained about 2 litres of water which had collected in the U-shape dip in the flexible pipe.

I assume this must be rainwater - but how has so much got in there - does this suggest a problem with the vent tile? The house is 8 years old and I suspect this has been happening for several years.

Also, is this installation correct - long dangling U-shaped flexible pipe taped up like this?

I am looking for advice on how to stop the water entering the pipe and how the installation should be done properly, maybe to stop water collecting like this? Photos attached. Thanks for any advice!

SP 5.jpg
SP 4.jpg
SP 3.jpg
SP 2.jpg
SP 1.jpg

Sponsored Links
That looks like an extractor vent - I would suspect that the water in the pipework is condensation rather than external water ingress.

Ideally no dip in the duct or a condensate drain off point needs to be fitted.

Shorten the duct so that it doesn't have a low point in it where water can collect

Thanks for your replies - I don't think this is an extractor - I can see each of these and they are all connected with insulated ducting. This one is different - only thing I can think of is the soil pipe vent??

If it is a soil pipe is it still possible to get condensation in there? Or is it more likely to be rain water?

I can certainly shorten the duct length and remove the dip, but I would like to understand where the water is coming from.

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
If it's a soil vent pipe I'd be surprised. Possibly a cooker hood?

It's possible to get condensation in a soil vent pipe and equally possible that a tile vent can leak.

If you want to eliminate the leak coming from the the roof then leave the section of flexible ducting disconnected and put the section attached to the tile vent in a bucket, wait for heavy rain and take another look.

My money is still on the pipe being an extractor.

If that's a soil vent pipe then it's been bodged with tape, it should be properly clipped without dips or the grey soil pipe taken through the roof & weathered/terminated properly.

If you have hot water entering the soil pipe (bath/shower/basin etc) then steam could travel up the pipe and condense in the dip located in a cold attic over time.

Thanks for all the replies. After some more investigation definitely the soil pipe, and definitely condensation not leaking vent tile. Added an extra section of 4" pipe and removed the bodged together flexible sections so now no dips. Hopefully no more leaks as well...
SP2.jpg

on new builds its quite common for the svp to vent to a tile vent, you just hope the tiler puts it near the stack ive had to run 110mm about 6m before then connect flexi to tile vent. the way you have it now should be fine if its securely fixed.

While you're at it, you might like to adjust those flexible extractor vent pipes too as they seem to have some flat runs or dips. Have you checked to see if they are also full of water?

The extractor pipes are actually dry - I guess the insulation makes enough of a difference, but I'll probably tidy them up as well and get rid of the flat sections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back