Solar Panel Integration?

S

sturharv

I am looking to integate solar panels for hot water with an electric system. There will be an electric say, 9kw boiler serving the u/f heating and a mains pressure cylinder. I believe there may be two ways of doing this:

1. Get a twin coil cyl. serve one coil off the electric boiler and the lower coil off the solar installation, or,

2. Get a standard cylinder i.e. with one coil and serve this with the solar circuit and have the immersion as back-up.

What do you think? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
I have never understood why anyone wants a wet electric heating system!

Nor can I see any advantage in having a more complicated way to heat the cylinder than a standard immersion.

It will be best for solar gain if you have two immersions, one near the top for normal use when good solar gain is expected with the lower one being used to heat when little or no solar gain is possible.

Tony

Thanks Tony,
I do agree with your thoughts on an electric 'wet' system, the thing is these are very small flats with 1/2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. There are alot of internal kitchens and fluing will be a major problem. In addition there is not much gas available on site, only a 63mm pipe and there are 10 flats, the gas will be needed for the larger houses on the site.

If they are small flats then I dont see how you are going to be able to get enough solar collection area.

If these are new properties then why not have the gas supply pipe upgraded?

Tony

Sponsored Links
If they are small flats then I dont see how you are going to be able to get enough solar collection area.

If these are new properties then why not have the gas supply pipe upgraded?

Tony

I dont understand what you mean when you say, “I dont see how you are going to be able to get enough solar collection area”, there will just be 2sq. metres or so on the roof for each flat, no problem.

Its adequate for one person and still helps for two.

The problem is getting enough roof space on the south facing aspect to accommodate all the panels.

Also quite complicated getting all the pipework seperatly into each individual flat.

Tony

2sq m is 1 panel, that is not enough to heat a cylinder adequately, whether their is 1 or 2 persons in occupancy, I have been to jobs where this has been done and the cylinder never reaches temperature through the solar, I have done solar in flats, it is possible.

seems to me soalr anything is just a gimmick in this country, look outside today, is the sun there shining and bright?

Its cool outside but lovely sunny day in NW London!

Billy Bob, you seem to have unusual ideas of the area of panels required. Where did you take your certificated training?

Presumably for a family of four you would fit FOUR 2m² panels?

Most other people would only fit TWO !!!

Its odd that the OP wants to have solar panels anyway! They are not cost effective and particularly not for small flats anyway. Even with two panels and a family of four they have a NEVER pay back time.

Tony

Many new build homes are being specified with solar to meet renewables targets set by local council planning/building control.

They have not heard that solar is uneconomic, the politicians are still making hay over it.

BTW, am I the only one here a little bit concerned the OP seems to design and specify all his jobs on this forum? Some of the questions he asks are staggering :rolleyes:

No, we are all amazed that he seems to be in a position to design expensive systems without any training or experience!

Heaven help the poor purchasers of these properties. Its no wonder that builders get a bad reputation.

Tony

BTW, am I the only one here a little bit concerned the OP seems to design and specify all his jobs on this forum? Some of the questions he asks are staggering :rolleyes:

Ok, so who is BTW and OP ! :)

If you were involved in the specification etc. of different systems, i.e. solar, ground source heat pumps, PV cells, biomass etc. you would ask questions too, theres no harm in it, we're all learning (the difference is I admit it, and don't act to know everything).

I take it that certain people on this forum are so used to installing the 'normal' gas / oil systems that anything else can be slightly confusing.

I haven't got onto water hydro turbines yet OR water reclamation !! :LOL: :LOL:

We feel that we know a lot more than you do about these systems, particularly solar for which we have attended the accredited courses.

However, you seem to be specifying systems without any appropriate training or relevant experience.

Whatever the fuel source, the same basic principles still apply!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back