Solar panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: I have one of these above ground pools for the kids 15ft diameter 3ft deep. Does anyone know of a solar panel I could link to the filter system to heat the water :confused: I guess around 3500 gallons.This will also cut down my electricity bills. :mad:

Sponsored Links
It may need some sort of heat exchanger, but i do know you can make a solar panel from an ordainiry ch radiator, painted matt black and put in its own "green house"

Thanks Breezer I will keep this in mind but I was told that there was a panel for this pupose. But I cant find a supplier for the damn thing. By the way do you have anymore imformation about your method? :D :D

Have you seen this ? I'm thinking about one but not sure how big the solar panel will be.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,Breezer's That should be fun & pity there's no drawing plan.My wife still won't let me put a radiator in the greenhouse ! :)

Once again thanks for all your help Breezer.I am now thinking of making one for next summer. :D :D :D I searched the web for plans and found nothing! I don't know how you do it?Cheers.

Found some more details.See this. Not sure if you can use 22mm copper pipe ? I'm bit worried my filter pump with approx 1-1/4" dia pipe will back pressure if it reduce to 8 mm copper flex-pipe.

Click on to'Cambridge J Squared Solar Power Page',then click on to 'Solar Water Heating'

:!: Masona I think a separate pump would be a better solution as this will not restrict the flow through the filter and reduce its efficiency. I would not use 22mm copper as this would not absorb enough heat due to the volume of water passing through :)

Agreed with the separate pump,how are you thinking about doing yours ?

Have you work out the size of the solar panel if you know as I've got the same size as you.

Cut a hole into the side for inlet & outlet or go over the top into the pool ?

It would be great if you can get the heat outlet at the bottom of the pool !

Sorry been to busy I will look lnto sizes ect when I get time? Will also be looking in for any ideas. ;)

> I'm bit worried my filter pump with approx 1-1/4" dia pipe will back
> pressure if it reduce to 8 mm copper flex-pipe.

Can you run it into a number of 8mm copper pipes, in parallel?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Yes, but what are you doing? Could apply to anything, but this is appended to a topic that's 11 months old. Some more details would help.

I've always wanted a grid interconnect system with those photovoltaic solar arrays...

Zen, would you have more luck with wind-power in the UK? Would take more in the way of planning permission, but you would probably get more power all year round. All we need to do is conquer the energy stored in grey skies and drizzle and we are sorted. :LOL:

One of my aims in life is to have a "green" self-powering house. Not sure I would go for the old reed bed sewerage, but I would love to be able to power myself renewable. Especially if I could get renewably generated hydrogen for my fuel cell car too :D

You can have systems installed that switch between grid power and renewable energy. People with such systems generally use excess energy to recharge a large bank of batteries, then when it is required the batteries power an inverter, which supplies ac to the house. I have even read something about selling unneeded electricity back to the grid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back