solar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys n dolls , john here N.E. uk , I'm fitting a 9000ltr /hr pond pump to my water feature 240 volt 68 amps , any ideas on how to solar power it 24/7 until frost n ice comes around again. Get plenty of sun all yr round . any views welcomed warm regards J

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hmmm, so it pumps nine thousand per hour litre?

9000 ltr/hr ?

You want it to be powered by the sun during the night?
...and you don't need it to run if there's frost and ice?
Does it actually draw 68 amps?

hi Stephen thks for swift return. plz bear in mind I'm not a sparky. Yes 24/7 cos I'm thing of adding fish . . really unsure it said on pump twas 68 amps . i could look at instructions tomorrow and get back .

Hi guys n dolls , john here N.E. uk , I'm fitting a 9000/hr ltr pond pump to my water feature 240 volt 68 amps , any ideas on how to solar power it 24/7 until frost n ice comes around again. Get plenty of sun all yr round . any views welcomed warm regards J

68 Amps? I don't believe you.

When you know the real current draw in 24 hours, work out how many solar panels you need to generate more than that, averaged out daily, their cost, and add the cost of batteries capable of storing a weeks worth to tide you over dull spells. It might be around £14,500 for 4,000 kWh p.a. almost all of which will come in the six summer months. This is nearly 1kWh per hour on average for those months, the the real load is about 4amps

You will need about 32 square metres of panels on a south-facing sloping unshaded roof.

Then buy a plug and socket which will work out cheaper and more reliable.

Sponsored Links
oh and sorry that's supposed to say 9000,ltrs/ hr hee hee

You all got me looking.
This 9000 l/hr pump

Is 65W at 24V dc

And this

Is 85W at (I presume 240V ac)

You all got me looking.
This 9000 l/hr pump

Is 65W at 24V dc

And this

Oh, next to nothing, then.

My estimates are completely wrong.

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK
So I would look for at least 200W of solar panels and batteries (as it is dark half the time).

Quick Google suggests budget starting at £500 (not saying this is correct fit, just a quick internet search)

EDIT...... These come with only a 50Ah battery. Increase that budget as you need enough battery to last the night. Say 65W from a 12v battery over 12 hr is about 65Ahr battery. But need bigger as cannot discharge that battery to zero without damaging it.

All.above is quick maths and happy to be challenged.

Last edited:
68 Amps? I don't believe you.

When you know the real current draw in 24 hours, work out how many solar panels you need to generate more than that, averaged out daily, their cost, and add the cost of batteries capable of storing a weeks worth to tide you over dull spells. It might be around £14,500 for 4,000 kWh p.a. almost all of which will come in the six summer months. This is nearly 1kWh per hour on average for those months, the the real load is about 4amps

You will need about 32 square metres of panels on a south-facing sloping unshaded roof.

Then buy a plug and socket which will work out cheaper and more reliable.
so sorry John D 240 volt 68 w pump , I've had a hard week and me mind is on the long bank hol wknd sssooorrryyy . j

You all got me looking.
This 9000 l/hr pump

Is 65W at 24V dc

And this

Much appreciate SFK all the effort and swift return , as u can see I'm newbie to DIYnot, hee hee ,oh and my pump is 240 volt 68 w .

But need bigger
Indeed. Quite a bit bigger. Regular lead acid cells should be kept above 80%, leisure batteries might reasonably do 50%.

130ah leisure battery replaced every year perhaps..

Doesn't seem worth it to me

Last edited:
Indeed. Quite a bit bigger. Regular lead acid cells should be kept above 80%, leisure batteries might reasonably do 50%.

130ah leisure battery replaced every year perhaps..

Doesn't seem worth it to me
Thks for honest feed back , might just use 240 electricity supply on a energy monitor ? polite regards john

68 watts on continuously is about 600 kWh per year, or about £200 per year if paying 34p per kWh.
Thks flameport , well after those calcs , if i end up forking out 4 to £500 quid on a solar system , i would get my money back in 2 or 3 yr of running pump yeah. mmmm kinda swaying back to a solar system ... hee hee, true regards thks for your time j

Except that you only get worthwhile solar power in the six summer months, and not every day of those, so you will save less than half your electricity.

Electricity prices should also fall soon.

Sponsored Links
Back