Solder not appearing at joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, had to remove a radiator and fitted a cap to the end of the pipe. They were the type which contain a ring of solder and just require heating.

On one pipe it worked perfect and you could see the solder out the edges of the cap. On the other pipe I heated it for a long time but no solder appeared. But with the heating on nothing leaked.

So my question is, would you do the cap which didn't show any solder again? Or is this sometimes the case and it should be fine?

Sponsored Links
Was the pipe completely dry when you soldered? The yorkshire fittings you used are normally pretty good

It was completely dry on the outside, there was water in the pipe about 3 inches down on the inside. Would this have an effect?

It was completely dry on the outside, there was water in the pipe about 3 inches down on the inside. Would this have an effect?

Yes more than likely. Any water will cool the joint and prevent it from soldering correctly.

If you're refitting the radiator then a simple push fit stop cap would have sufficed. They take seconds to fit and are removed just as quickly when needed.

Sponsored Links
The radiator has been permanently removed. Any tips for getting water out the pipe? Don't have access to a wet vac sadly.

The radiator has been permanently removed. Any tips for getting water out the pipe? Don't have access to a wet vac sadly.

Use the nozzle from a spray bottle and poke the straw down the pipe as far as you can get it. Operate the trigger and keep going until you've got all the water out. It may take a while depending on water in the system continuing to find equilibrium in the pipes.

Or use a compression stop end.

This may have been covered, but I assume the OP is using flux?

I was going to ask that. And if he cleaned properly.

Years ago, a very clever motor bike racer, an engneer type guy, called on me. He was struggling to fit his washing machine. He was using Yorkshire, and generally thought that it exonerated him from using flux, and, IIRC, cleaning.

I was going to ask that. And if he cleaned properly.

Years ago, a very clever motor bike racer, an engneer type guy, called on me. He was struggling to fit his washing machine. He was using Yorkshire, and generally thought that it exonerated him from using flux, and, IIRC, cleaning.
My cousin is an RGI and everytime he solders a fitting he uses a brush with flux on it and keeps dosing it on the hot fitting till it cools, drives me absolutely nuts , he will not listen when you tell him its completely wrong, anyone reading this , when the fitting is cold wipe all flux from the pipe and fitting, it is horrible stuff if left on pipework

Thanks

Yeah did use flux, one fitting worked spot on just the second one didn't seem to show solder at join. It is sealed though.
Sometimes you cannot see it. Perfect joint i suppose,you can see a very thin line allround the bottom of the joint..Less than perfect after that,,as solder runs out and down the pipe.You would be lucky/unlucky..to have yorkshire fitting where no solder was ever in joint,it did leak/blow apart as soon as you turned water on...

Hi all, had to remove a radiator and fitted a cap to the end of the pipe. They were the type which contain a ring of solder and just require heating.

On one pipe it worked perfect and you could see the solder out the edges of the cap. On the other pipe I heated it for a long time but no solder appeared. But with the heating on nothing leaked.

So my question is, would you do the cap which didn't show any solder again? Or is this sometimes the case and it should be fine?

I’ve noticed the solder ring type don’t work as good if the heat is even a tad too high.

Leaving the heat on for ages would probably explain why you didn’t see the solder appear

My cousin is an RGI and everytime he solders a fitting he uses a brush with flux on it and keeps dosing it on the hot fitting till it cools, drives me absolutely nuts , he will not listen when you tell him its completely wrong, anyone reading this , when the fitting is cold wipe all flux from the pipe and fitting, it is horrible stuff if left on pipework

I’m anal about cleaning flux off. I even wipe the fitting before applying any heat.

My mate wipes flux on the outside of the fitting before he heats it up! Solder all over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back