solder ring - flux??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to soldering (other than at school on electronics),

this may sound a stupid question but do I put flux on the tube ends and inside the fitting on a Solder ring (yorkshire) fitting??

I have been practising (not been using flux) and assume this is where I have been going wrong!!

Sponsored Links
thanks.

just wasn't sure to flux or not, unlike the end feed where I would always use flux.

will use flux regardless in the future,

cheers lads

Sponsored Links
It won't work without flux - personally, I coat both mating surfaces.

I also thoroughly clean both surfaces, and degrease if necessary, before applying flux.

Some people believe cleanliness before soldering is unimportant.
Some people have leaks.

good cleaning is vital, then coat the male end very lightly in flux, as you insert the pipe into the fitting twist it slightly to ensure full coverage, too much flux is a major problem with contamination especially in this day and age when proper cold then hot flushing not getting done on installations

Above 22MM you should coat both surfaces not necessary on 22 & below but really down to personal pref.

I always clean the pipe with SS wool and sometimes the fitting if it's a bit dirty.

I never use Laco only Powerflux.

Agree with kirkgas ,if you put it in the fitting it gets pushed into the system. Which can create blockages in gas runs.
There is one type of flux your not meant to use on gas as it remains active and rots the pipe, name escapes me at present

can u even use powerflux on gas pipes? thoought it was too corrosive

this day and age when proper cold then hot flushing not getting done on installations

:eek: :eek: Come on lads own up, who does not hot flush the gas pipes. :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously kirkgas totally agree with fluxing pipe only.

i assumed OP was going to solder water pipe due to the nature of the original question i assumed OP isnt an RGI so it wouldn't be gas, i remember years ago a plumbing/heating firm almost going bust due to the costs involved of redoing miles of pipework in a hospital cause the guys were on pricework and were dipping the pipe end in the flux tub to save time!!!! every single bit of pipe had to be removed and the HSE rep watched as it was crushed when stripped out to ensure it wasn't refitted.

The did go bust. Simpson of Blantyre.

I worked with Parky Twaddle for a couple of years,it was they who did the remedial work. Charge hand on the job I was on had worked on the Sick Kids for years redoing the plumbing. The did a ward at a time ,guy told me that every bit of pipe removed was bagged and tagged for the impending court case.

Method of work was up to two inch copper pipe dipped into Laco flux tins from above and then fitted,apparently.

I usually just give the pipe a little clean with scotch, then just stick the solder end in the flux then spread it inside the fitting, very rarely doesn't take

I usually just give the pipe a little clean with scotch, then just stick the solder end in the flux then spread it inside the fitting, very rarely doesn't take
Why on Earth would you make a habit of using a method that doesn't work every time, without fail, and without exception? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back