Soldier course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

The brick dimensions i am using are 215 x 102 x 73mm for the extension.

I want to use these same bricks for the soldier course above window, however I am not sure if this is possible, can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
You could cut the brick down to form a pistol, or cut the soldiers to suit(160mm?) or use a creasing tile on top of soldiers
What does your bricklayer say, is it the one who quoted £650 a thousand? or did you get someone cheaper, the going rate here in NW on sites is £700 min brick, £17 100mm block, insulation/lintels/cavity trays/detail work ie soldiers etc all paid extra, ready mixed mortar and materials placed next to working area.
This is one of the reasons private work is more expensive, i would want at least £1 a brick and £2 a block min, and extra for any daywork involved, and who pays me while waiting for scaffold/materials etc, i could lay nowhere near the amount i lay on site, so now i avoid extensions, not worth the hassle.
stock-photo-a-close-up-detail-of-a-pistol-brick-with-a-few-more-in-the-background-1516170551.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
You could cut the brick down to form a pistol, or cut the soldiers to suit(160mm?) or use a creasing tile on top of soldiers
What does your bricklayer say, is it the one who quoted £650 a thousand? or did you get someone cheaper, the going rate here in NW on sites is £700 min brick, £17 100mm block, insulation/lintels/cavity trays/detail work ie soldiers etc all paid extra, ready mixed mortar and materials placed next to working area.
This is one of the reasons private work is more expensive, i would want at least £1 a brick and £2 a block min, and extra for any daywork involved, and who pays me while waiting for scaffold/materials etc, i could lay nowhere near the amount i lay on site, so now i avoid extensions, not worth the hassle.
stock-photo-a-close-up-detail-of-a-pistol-brick-with-a-few-more-in-the-background-1516170551.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Can you share an example of what you mean by pistol?

The problem is when my 73mm brick is stood vertically it seems too short compared to the 3 normal courses.

Sponsored Links
The problem is when my 73mm brick is stood vertically it seems too short compared to the 3 normal courses.
I agree because your brick is 8mm too thick to make it work.
73mm brick with 10mm mortar would be 249mm for 3 courses.
Standing vertically it would be 225mm.
The only way i can think mathematically is to cut the brick length to 156mm for the solder course and have it over 2 courses, but that would give an interesting look!

thought this thread was going to be about preparing for an adventure holiday in the Ukraine

I fancy going! (although I am on my 5th pint so might change my mind the morns morn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back