Solid State Hard Drives

Sponsored Links
Oooh, this means I might have to take the plunge and upgrade :eek:

I just like XP - I am a pain for not wanting to upgrade things. When I started out in an office, Windows 3.1 had just come out!! LOL

Cheers. Crucial have 240GB for 82 quid which seems like a good price. Away to check your links out too.

I was going to see if my old drive would fit my niece's laptop (hers is an older model than mine) - she's only got a 60GB hdd and needs more storage. She might get a SSD in the future but me first!! LOL

For around £82.99 you can get a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB which is a better drive. IF you keep an eye open on Amazon that is how much they were selling for very recently but they have risen by a few pounds ATM.

Sorry, I missed your post. I was just about to ask about the Samsung EVO 840.

I've only got 150GB HDD in my laptop, so I'm figuring getting a 250GB SSD.

Are they more reliable than a HDD? I'm maybe paranoid, but the thought of my hard drive dying a death and me losing everything scares me.

I do backup to an external HDD but I don't do it every day.

Is there any other considerations I need - like it fitting my lappy?

Sponsored Links
I am no expert on SSD's and know less about laptops.

Laptops will have very limited space available so you would probably have to replace the hard drive with the SSD. You would then have to re-install windows and you would need access to the laptop drivers, saved somewhere where you can access them such as a DVD. You might not be able to access USB without installed drivers.

You might be able to install from a USB flash drive. It depends upon your laptop. On an older laptop it might be much more difficult.

Windows XP does not work well with SSD's, win 7 as a minimum is needed to function well. I used to use XP a short time back until I rebuilt my PC, many things did not function in XP so I moved to Win 7 x64. In many ways, particularly the interface, I prefer XP.[/u]

I've got all my drivers backed up - I'm a bit of a weirdo and like to have a good clean up of my hard drive every now and again :oops:

I'm still running XP and I know I should upgrade but the brief foray I've had on Win 7, I didn't like it - it was all these bloomin boxes asking if I was sure if I wanted to do something - I'm not that much of an idiot! LOL That's part of the reason I didn't like it. Plus I hate having to get to grips with new software.

I've got all my drivers backed up - I'm a bit of a weirdo and like to have a good clean up of my hard drive every now and again :oops:

I'm still running XP and I know I should upgrade but the brief foray I've had on Win 7, I didn't like it - it was all these bloomin boxes asking if I was sure if I wanted to do something - I'm not that much of an idiot! LOL That's part of the reason I didn't like it. Plus I hate having to get to grips with new software.

There are options to turn those boxes off (these options might even be presented to you on/via the box itself). Win 7 is so much more stable/reliable than XP, the difference is great.

Nozzle

I'm a "Micro$oft" H8R but even I will say that Win 7 is a league above Diablo's previous offerings and the jury's still out on Win 8>

Running a Samsung 840 on a 6 y/o Dell Inspiron - over a year - goes like manure, transforms the old b#gger compared to original 320 Gb Samsung (which still runs faultlessly, well, its chum does)!

For over 1 year SanDisk SDSSDX240GG25 on main i7 desktop - it flies !!

Have a spare Sandisk 840 Pro to maybe try a bit of the old 'striping' on the i7 based mc - maybe getting too old to flaff around with this stuff.

Oh, and a Vertex Plus 120 GB SSD in an Advent 4211-B netbook from yonks ago - now posts 2.9 on the windows index experience (arf,arf), even with a change of Bios to that of the 'Wind' mc and hence gets a little benefit from overclocking whilst not running from battery.
So I would say, as a non expert, but a peeps with some experience, Samsung or Sandisk - gertcha !
Mind you in each case I have HDD 'data' drives - 320GB to 2 TB and more. Yep, you are right I am a nukin' futter !! and I luv it.

-0-

I think I might get the Samsung 840 EVO. The price is good and seems to have good reviews too.

Now I've just got to brace myself whether to put Windows 7 on or stick with my much loved XP. I'll need to check if all my software is compatible with 64 bit Windows 7

If you are running any 16-bit software (designed for Windows 3.1/95a) then this will NOT function on 64-bit Windows. Some very early 32-bit apps also can be troublesome on 64-bit Windows 7/8.

However, all is not lost. You can install a 32-bit version of Windows XP or 7 in a Virtual Machine, on which you can run your old apps.

But this will mean a 32GB SSD drive might be a bit on the small side! :D

There is a Win XP compatibility mode in Win 7.

What you need to check for is win 7 driver availability because your laptop might not have any if it is more than a few years old. There might be some microsoft drivers at a push.

We have discussed SSD additions 15 or so months ago, my stuff still running good still not sure if the Dell (sata2) is using ACHI mode tho' remains great compared to the old HDD system drive. BTW drivers were no problem for the old Dell just worked real well after cloning disk ...
//www.diynot.com/forums/hardware/question-about-ssds.366143/

-0-

There is a Win XP compatibility mode in Win 7.

What you need to check for is win 7 driver availability because your laptop might not have any if it is more than a few years old. There might be some microsoft drivers at a push.

I had a look on Dell's website. If I put in my service tag and select Windows 7 64 bit, I get a big list of drivers to download - though I'm not entirely sure which ones I need.

I know there's a programme that will tell you what you have in your computer but I can't remember what it is.

Sponsored Links
Back