solid wood Worktop sourcing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to purchase solid wood worktops for my kitchen (and promise to soak them in oil regularly! ) :D , but, its awfully confusing on where to go and what makes a good quality worktop against another manufacturer.

I have found worktops express, most reviews have their customer service as not very good and products ok for the price compared to Wickes/B&Q equivalents.

As tradespeople or carpenters, where would you guys typically buy your worktops to install for a client and keep ya rep?

Would you use someone popular like B&Q/Wickes/Howdens or someone online like worktop express or someone else?

Its a lot to sift through when you only do this once a decade or so, i accept the 38/40mm is better than the cheaper 28mm.

Thank you

Nat

Sponsored Links
Ha ha blimey, they do look good but seem to be the furthest away from me that they possibly could be within the British Isles and they dont appear to deliver. I am in Kent.

Any of you other kind folk with a sageful opinion?

Selco do 38mm for around £260 while their 28mm was less than half that last time I purchased.

Sponsored Links
So what makes one board better than the other?

B&Q/Wickes is around £89 for a 28mm

Worktop express is around £115 for a 40mm

Other places may be hundreds more for what looks the same

Width and length of the staves - the longer and wider they are the more expensive they are to produce. Also the thickness - 38mm will cost more than 28mm

I bought a good quality 40mm cherry worktop from Worktop Express, who sell via Ebay. 40mm staves. Seemed like a reaonable rpice and arrived quickly with two lads in a van.

I wouldn't rely on oil though, to preserve a worktop that will get wet. I finished mine with three coats of Danish oil followed by the same of Ronseal Mattcoat spirit-based polyeurethane varnish. I have similiar worktops in an unknown varnish that have needed no attention in 5 years.

Cheers
Richard

We have installed three pre-cut IKEA solid oak worktops in various kitchens and they have been excellent value.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back