Solidor Barn-type door adjustment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope you can help. First time posting on here. I've recently moved into a property with a Solidor barn-type door. I'm having a bit of trouble where the bottom section of the door catches the jamb (see pics).

The door hang itself is perfectly plumb both for the top and bottom sections, although the bottom section juts out about 4 mm further than the top section towards the catches.

I think the issue is the jamb has been fitted poorly and is a bit wonky. The bottom half tapers away from the door quite considerably. I suspect this is why the bottom door has been fitted further out. However, as a consequence the top corner of the bottom door snags on the jamb and I'm concerned about damage. I understand the door was only fitted in January, but the previous owner left no copies of guarantees or installer details so I'm pretty much on my own to take up the task of correcting it.

Hopefully I won't have to mess too much with the hinges, but if I can sort out the jamb, I wonder if it would be possible to slide the bottom door segment back those 4 mm to line up with the top section?

Anyway, that's enough detail for now. Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I’m no pro and the only jamb I know of goes on toast, but I’ve fitted a couple of Solidors at home and there is some adjustment on the hinge although it’s pretty basic.

You can push the chrome trim off to the left and the adjustment is by loosening and then tightening 4 screws.

There’s a picture on here:
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/are-these-silodor-hinges-adjustable.535440/#post-4512168

Your level makes the frame look a mile out but maybe you could tighten the nearest fixing to give some more room for the door.

Thanks for the reply on this and sorry for taking so long to reply. I managed to loosen the hinge covers and take a look. I thought perhaps there'd be some room to slide along or up or down within the hinge bits but alas not. I don't want to reposition the screws and dowel the old holes etc. I tried adjusting the jamb in the doorframe but it's solid as anything. I think I'll just have to live with a wonky, clunky door. Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back