[SOLVED] Big (overnight) water heater ceased functioning - manual says there's a cut-out button

Thanks very much. No fear of me doing any replacing myself; that's what the landlord is for! I'm always happy to take the simple steps and the simple measurements, though. If it doesn't cut out again and all seems well, might write "cutout" next to the little rectangle with a chinagraph pen for the next guy.

Sponsored Links
I'm actually renting, so it's not going to cost me, but I've no interest in alienating the landlord whom I have seen precisely once over the last ten years.

Landlord should be providing an annual safety check to comply with Building Regulations for unvented hot water cylinders.

As above. If you were to want to test it further…
With the Off-peak supply energised you should see 230v between A and B, that's the terminals at 3 and 6 o'clock on the housing.

You should also see 230v between the two test points (marked 1 and 2) in the centre of the housing. Those points are directly across the element itself and you can use those to eliminate/investigate the cut-out or the thermostat not functioning.

Sponsored Links
I turned the economy seven switch back on a moment ago and heard something starting up inside the tank, so it didn't just re-pop the cutout instantly.

The cutout is a high temperature cutout. I wont trip until the water temperature reaches a certain level, perhaps 85-90C.

Ah... so if it does trip, might I get somewhere by experimenting with that turny switch? Is that some kind of target temperature setter?

No, if it trips it's faulty and needs a new thermostat, replacing it takes only a few minutes.

Well that all seemed to work out pretty well. Didn't trip (I think), plenty of hot water. If it trips again in the near future I'll call up the landlord, but otherwise all's good. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back