Solved Grant Vortex Pro kitchen utility oil connection prob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have a Grant Vortex Pro kitchen utility 16kw oil boiler and would like to know which port the oil inlet should be connected to. The diagram shows an inlet port and a return port. The system uses only one pipe but the oil inlet seems to be connected to the return port and the suction port has a plastic plug in it.
So really what I want to know is when I open the front of the boiler and the oil pump is to the left of the burner, should the flexible braided oil inlet pipe go into the first port from the front (underneath) or the second.
Thanks
thyristor44

Sponsored Links
If you are asking these questions you need an oil engineer to connect
the boiler up and adjust the pump pressure and air mixture.
You won't have a flue gas analyser to set an oil boiler up correctly
without it.

Check the oftec website and put in your post code.

Its been set up by an oil engineer, pump pressure and air adjusted and got a print out of the Combustion Appliance Test Report of flue gasses. But I still need to know if its connected to the correct port.

Not wanting to call you a liar, but either you have not been truthful or the 'engineer' who set up your boiler is a complete numpty. Only you will know which one!

Sponsored Links
Not wanting to call you a liar, but either you have not been truthful or the 'engineer' who set up your boiler is a complete numpty. Only you will know which one!

That is what I was worried about, that the engineer was a numpty.

From your response I gather oil in is in the wrong port. Am I right.
There was a great problem at the time it was tested to get the levels right as one was at the limit of its adjustment so he phoned Grant Technical to give them the readings and ask their advise and they said it was ok.
So I got the analyser read out and printout but not signed off as I had to fit an auto bypass.
Reading the installation manual it looked to me oil went in to wrong port.

Yes it is in the wrong port but to be honest that's not too much of an issue as it will run fine in the return port. What does need sorting is the plastic bung which needs changing for a metal 15mm port plug (which your numpty engineer would have took out of the return and probably chucked). Surely this must have been leaking by now????

Yes there is a metal bung, also a small grub screw with a point on in the remaining parts. The job he did was cash in hand and he was to come back when the auto bypass was fitted to sign it off. I have tried to contact him for over two weeks now but no luck, think he is bumping my calls now.
He had problems at the time he commissioned it I think the oil pressure had to be too high when the air was adjusted fully to its limit and he phoned Grant technical who said ok
Replacing the plastic plug is no problem but will the boiler work correctly with feed in wrong port and is it a simple matter to swap over the feed to the correct port of will it need to be recommissioned, obviously not him.

Don't put in the grub screw that's for two pipe running put the feed in the port which points into the pump and you need a 1/8bsp plug for the hole with the plastic plug in also put a bonded washer on the plug before fitting don't use a tapered plug

Don't put in the grub screw that's for two pipe running put the feed in the port which points into the pump and you need a 1/8bsp plug for the hole with the plastic plug in also put a bonded washer on the plug before fitting don't use a tapered plug
To be exact which port do you call into the pump and would it need recommissioning after the feed is moved.

Bite the bullet and pay to have the job done properly. This is the consequence of trying to do things on the cheap. Your plastic plug will not remain oil tight. It is only partially threaded, and after it has got hot a few more times it will start to leak. Whilst rectifying this part will not upset the burner settings, I would be very wary of the 'job' you have already had done.

The arrow on the pump is circular showing the direction of rotation and on the side at the top, the ports are on the bottom of the pump, no arrows.

There are two small arrow heads on the pump cover depicting flow direction.

Inlet to pump is the one on left (looking at cover)

That makes it plain.
Last thing, if I move the supply from the outlet port to the inlet port does it need recalibrating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back