SOME ADVICE PLEASE 2 QUICK QUESTIONS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am planing to fit about 40 walls wainscot panels 600*600 on the hall of the ground first and second floor. Each panel is about £55 quite expansive so i decided to buy those from B&Q (kitchen doors) which are almost 5 times cheaper and look the same as the ones for £55.

Please check it out.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/skins/popups/scene7.jsp?skuId=9301980

The way to fit those panels it's not clear i thought maybe just to stick it with some strong silicone.

1- Any advise on who to fit it would be strongly appreciate

2-Also Where to find this handrails i have look everywhere but nothing close to it.

Please check it out.

http://www.fotothing.com/David3331/

Do you know any similar to this one.

Many thanks[/url]

Sponsored Links
david - don't use silicone as an adhesive but use solvent Gripfill (green) - remove wallpaper and bond to plaster. Blobs of Grip, press into position, pull off, then push back on. Hold in position with inclined lengths of timber 'till the Grip sets.

Any decent timber merchant (not the DIY sheds) will stock a wide range of profiles (often in very long lengths) for your capping purposes.

Wainscot panelling is 800 – 1000mm high the same height of a chair rail or dado rail.

Look at images of dado panelling / wainscot panelling now imitate it using MDF

So you can use sheets of 9mm MDF apply a sheet of MDF 2.4m x 900mm fixed to the wall using panel adhesive ( liquid nails, gripfill, no nails etc, etc )You then apply strips of 9mm 100mm wide over the large sheet of MDF foaming squares or oblong panels. You finish all this off with panel mouldings around the perimeter of the panels you have constructed. These panels that you have formed will be fielded not raised and field.

It’s not a hand rails it is a dado rail you are after.

If you purchase the dado rail from any of the big sheds or the large builders’ merchants you will be lucky to get one bigger than 70 x 22. But you can construct you own using the standard 70 x 22 dado rail and 94 x 15 bullnose skirting. Fix the skirting to the wall first then fix the dado in the centre of the skirting. You have now formed a dado rail 94 x 37. And at the same time you have concealed the fixings hold the skirting on the wall with the dado rail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back