Some advice please - outside lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wiring four bollard lights with PIRs to have them come on as people walk down the long drive. I have run a 1.5 mm 3 core SWA from an all -weather FSU ( because I cant make the connection indoors). What is the best way to connect from PIR (to light) to PIR etc?

Sponsored Links
How long is long?

Where do you want to run the cable?

What type of cable terminations do the lights support?

16 m between lights. I have run the SWA from FSU underground exiting in a long loop at each bollard and ending at the gate light. The bollard lights did not come with a PIR so I bought seperate PIRs.

What's the longest run of cable? What is the loading on the end of this cable?

Sponsored Links
rough current = 2A..

VD = (29x2x60)/1000 = 3.48V..

you will need to run a 2,3 or 4 core armoured ( depending if you are using the armour as earth or if the PIR needs an earth and / or a neutral.. ) from each light to it's PIR or to a weatherproof box next to each PIR if you can't connect to it directly..

then just wire as you would a normal light circuit.. permanent live looped through, taken to the PIR and returned as a switched live to turn the light on.. ( neutral and earth also taken to the PIR if they need it.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back