Some advice welcomed please re moving bathroom pullswitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My bathroom pull cord switch is right in the way of a shower cubicle.

I thought my hubby could move this by channelling out the wall the other side and to put in a proper light switch.

He knows the basics of electrics, so would this be easy enough to do ourselves, and would the wiring be the same to connect up in the loft please.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Lolly.

Sponsored Links
I am not a qualified electrician but one will no doubt be along soon ...

However, moving a light switch shouldn't be too difficult. Without knowing the layout of your bathroom, I would suggest fitting another / moving the existing pull cord and keeping it within the room - more for convenience than any other reason. If you do then you will need a new stretcher between the joists to screw the switch to, and a new length of 1.0 or 1.5mmsq twin and earth from the switch to the light fitting. Simply remove one wire at a time replacing it with the new.

Alternatively, a switch on the outside is acceptable. Again chase the cable into the wall, cover with a capping and transfer one wire at a time. I think the only word of caution would be the distance of the switch from such fittings as the wash basin, ie you cannot touch the switch whilst having a hand in water - no doubt Breezer could quote the regs.

sorry you can NOT have a "ordainairy" switch in a bathroom, but yes you can move the pull cord switch

Hopefully you have a "loop in" lighting circuit.....

Turn off the lighting circuit.

Remove the cable from the switch to the ceiling rose (or junction box if that method)(make a note of the connections, breezer advice)

Renew cable from ceiling rose (or junction box) to new light switch position, make sure its NOT in the bathroom if using normal switch...

You will probably have to chase the walls and plaster....if the case, use some conduit or capping over the cable to protect it....

ALSO

Be careful whilst in the loft, because you might fall and wreck your ceiling then you will be asking advice in one of the other forums and they aint as nice as us.......

Sponsored Links
Ta very much chaps for your advice.

Yes, the light switch will be located in the hallway outside.

No, i wont fall thru ceiling as its boarded, so just a case of unscrewing one board out to locate new positions, or should that be hubby wont fall out...hehehehe...mind u he will probably wait for me to do diy, he has no patience....LOL..

ta very much

lolly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back