Some kind of water hammer??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I seem to have a weird water hammer (??) in the house.
It's just a small 'knock' every 10 seconds, like clockwork. It never speeds up or slows down and happens maybe 50% of the time. It can only be heard if all is quiet, especially at night, but stops for a short time if a tap is opened.
Pretty sure it's on the mains cold as I can actually feel it on the cold water pipes.
Water pressure is v high here, >10bar !

Could it just be a worn stopcock? I'm just surprised that it's such a regular 'knock'.

If it the stopcock, there's another problem. Mains water in is 15mm copper, then looks like this has a coupler either end, taking it to 20mm... not 22mm. Are 20mm stopcocks available anywhere? I can't seem to find any...

Sponsored Links
My guess would be a toilet cistern or tank (central heating?), where the float valve is set too high, passing a little water and is overfilling/over spilling, via the over flow.

Do you have a water meter and could check the reading last thing at night, then again before any water is used next day?

Could you maybe turn the water completely off on a night, to just check the noise does stop with the water off?

Stopcocks don't usually make any noise, apart from when water is flowing.

Thanks Harry,
I've tried isolating each toilet in turn and it still occurs. CH is a combi, so no tank.
Don't have a water meter either I'm afraid!
I'll maybe try closing the stopcock completely tonight, see if that stops it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, the heating is off at night. Plus I can feel the knock through the cold pipes and not the heating system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back