Some kitchen fitting questions .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi a few questions.

1)When cutting a end panel from the top or bottom I presume it's best to have clean edge at bottom?

2) for base units do you screw them together or screw them against wall first?

3)any tips for levelling base cabinets other than a laser level?

4 ) some of my wall cabinets slightly pop out from the bottom. Can I just secure them with l brackets at bottom of unit?

Sponsored Links
You can cut at the top or the bottom of the base panel, but if you cut at the bottom, seal the cut with neat wood adhesive, or coat it with silicone sealant. Floors get wet.

This one's tricky. You level them first, the fix to the wall, and then fix the together, but sometime, you'll fix them together make sure the wall isn't out, and then screw them to the wall. If the wall is out, you'd have to trim the backs to level them up, and then fix them. But at times, I've had to fix the plate to the wall first, and then fix it to the base unit, as the base unit hasn't gone completely back against the wall.

I have a laser level that I use for general laying out, but I then use a spirit level for levelling the units; it's much more accurate.

If you mean that the wall slows slightly backwards, and you've levelled the wall units with packers at the bottom, then yes, you can mark the bottom of the wall units, take them off and fit an angle bracket, replace the unit, and then screw them into the angle bracket. It's obviously easier to fit the bracket to the wall below the unit, but if you're tiling, you then need to hack out a bit of the plaster to get it to fit flush.

1)When cutting a end panel from the top or bottom I presume it's best to have clean edge at bottom
Yes

2) for base units do you screw them together or screw them against wall first?
Level them & then fix them to wall

3)any tips for levelling base cabinets other than a laser level?
Don't use a laser level - use a 1200mm/1800mm spirit level as they are much suitable.

4 ) some of my wall cabinets slightly pop out from the bottom. Can I just secure them with l brackets at bottom of unit?
From the inside of the wall unit, drill through the lower rail and plug/screw the unit to the wall. Don't over-tighten the top (adjustable) mount.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back