Some people really have no idea...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a phonecall from a friend of mine yesterday saying all his lights had been flickering and now everything in the house had gone dead.

I was working round the corner, so called round to find the DNO incommer was dead.

Phoned them up and reported the fault, and they confirmed a fault on their network.

It seems that it was just one phase that had gone down, as his neighbours were still on supply.

He asked me if it was because he buys his electric from Scottish power, and his neigbour is with Npower :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I've really tried to explain to him but had to give up in the end... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the DNO just didn't like SPOW customers that day - tomorrow it's SSE supplied ones that'll have a phase down.....

Might be a good comparison criteria for Uswitch to look at - who's supply stays on the longest!

Yes, the electricity comes down the same cable but the meter sorts out who you buy yours from.

It's like BBC and ITV come down the same aerial.

Sponsored Links
Ive has similar from customers on the gas side of things, even had a repair man from a competitor telling a customer the boiler kept breaking down due to bad gas, trying to get them to switch suppliers (which they did)

Yes, the electricity comes down the same cable but the meter sorts out who you buy yours from.
There's no technical reason why smart meters won't be able to do that.

Wouldn't it have to be a different frequency though?

(Ripple control used to be used for switching off-peak heating, street lights and air raid sirens...)

He asked me if it was because he buys his electric from Scottish power, and his neigbour is with Npower :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I've really tried to explain to him but had to give up in the end... :LOL:
I have to say that I'm hardly surprised that some people have difficulties - since it's such a bizarre concept to be able to purchase exactly the same product (whether electricity, gas, water or whatever), coming from exactly the same source and delivered by exactly the same process/method and then be able to choose who one pays for it! I certainly have some difficulties in understanding the sanity of the situation :)

Kind Regards, John

I had it once where we had a fault to repair in a close and half of the houses would have to go off to make repairs. Anyway, we went door knocking to tell people they are going off and one lady- as soon as we mentioned sse she just said 'nope I'm British gas, I pay them so my electric will stay on.' Tried to explain how it works but she was adamant and slammed the door. The power did go off and she quickly realised then!

Smart meters are too smart.

A commercial customer of mine was complaining their lecky bills had got quite expensive in the last few months as prices increased, and was finding the £500 a month high.

They spoke to their supplier who agreed to alter their tariff, and put them on a smart meter which they (the customer) could log into online and see their usage and play with tables etc.

Their bills have since come in at nearly £1000 a month! Turns out the old meter which had been there for at least ten years, when they took the site on, was incorrectly programmed or incorrectly fitted and was under charging!

Bit like own-brand cornflakes... sold in many supermarkets but they all come from the one factory.

Bit like own-brand cornflakes... sold in many supermarkets but they all come from the one factory.
Funny how they all taste slightly different!
Different brands even though made in the same factory will have a different recipe.

Not sure about cornflakes but for other products there are several suppliers competing to supply "own brand" products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back