Some radiators boiling hot - others stone cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is maybe related to another problem I posted about a few days ago, but a new problem has now come up
As mentioned, by mistake shut down water supply into house, was off a few hours and realised only when all taps went dry.
Got system running again, switched on taps starting from highest one and worked way down.
The original problem was that this could have shifted something in the hot water cylinder that covered up a small hole in the coil. So now have overflow in f&e tank (have traditional system, boiler, cold water tank and f&e tank).
But just now we realise that even with thermostat low (14 degrees, heating should be off) some rads are very hot, others stone cold (as they should be).
Any suggestion? Also have loud gurgling where water goes into cold water tank, not long, but first thing in morning 2-3 mins, then maybe once or twice during day.
Could some air bubble lurk in the system since the water was shut off? Maybe this screwd up the heating pipes/circuit, maybe even created the overflow?
Until the water shut off happened there was NO overflow.
Sorry to go on and on, but as I made the original mistake i am under pressure from my other half!! Help!

Sponsored Links
Yes, it sounds like you may have a pinholed coil in the cylinder, as the main CW cistern is above the F&E cistern that then overflows first.

Why some rads are hot and some cold even when the thermostat isn't calling for heat could be a zone valve problem, is the hot water calling for heat? Do you know what heating setup you have? S Plan/Y Plan/Gravity etc

I think you need to get a professional familiar with these systems in to fault find and repair for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back