some radiators not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a house which has a loft conversion on the second floor. There are two rooms in the loft. A bathroom and a bedroom each with one radiator. The radiators are served by a boiler located on the ground floor It looks like both radiators cannot function at the same time. When I turn the heat off on one the other is really hot. When I turn that one off, the other one heats up. All other radiators work fine in the house. I paid quite a lot of money to have the system balanced but that has not sorted the problem. Now an engineer is talking about ripping up the floorboards and carpet stating that it is probably a problem with the size of the pipework going into the loft but he didn't even touch the radiators or look at them on this visit before making that statement. I have bled the radiators but there is no difference. Can anyone help me please?!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
thanks. I really have very limited knowledge about radiators! To turn off all of the radiators, each one is regulated by a valve so do I just turn that on each one? I didn't quite get what you meant with reference to the sink.

Don't see how a radiator can "come on" if the flow is completely turned off.
I suspect that you turned the first one down, but did not close it completely. Turn both taps, on one radiator to the right, to close.
With both taps closed it cannot heat up at all, unless the taps/valves are broken.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. Is this a genuine post?

Two new members, joined the same day. Both from The Smoke.

Nice one PFA. ;)

many thanks for your suggestion. I will try at the weekend and see what progress I make. To the other person, yes I am a genuine person in need otherwise why would I bother wasting my time trying to fix heating? Sadly, I do not have endless time to waste on forums. Instead, I am a government lawyer who works very long hours to try and save consumers from being ripped off by tradespeople who are not genuine so your accusation is certainly not appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back