Son Bulkheads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to change 2 outside lights for Son bulkheads.

Could somebody please tell me what the light output will be from a 50w Son lamp and a 70w son lamp compaired to a normal light bulb. i.e with compact low energy lamps an 11w lamp gives = 60w of light

Cheers
Rob

Sponsored Links
A 70w SON will give a good spread of light but it'll be yellow, very yellow!

Why not look at metal halide fittings for a nice white light, again, they'll be much brighter than a 50w halogen lamp.

Be aware that both the above lamps have a startup time of a couple of minutes to full brightness. Also if you switch them off they won't be ready for switching back on for around 4-5 minutes (just in case you're using a PIR).

I've yet to see an 11w CFL give a light output as good as a 50w halogen, never mind 60w.

Hugely depends on what use it will have.

SONS most certainly have their place.

What are is it lighting? Alley, car park etc etc...

If you use metal hailide like the CDM-TT lamps be prepared to wear sunglasses in the dark as they are very bright lamps and the run much hotter than ordinary SON-T lamps.

Sponsored Links
Why SON-T? thats a little specific!

SON-T verse SON-E - any takers? Little quiz :LOL:

I'm gonna leave this for one of the youngsters, but I know :LOL:

Then there is also

SON-E [E]
SON-E

streetlighter said:
If you use metal hailide like the CDM-TT lamps .......

Or there's CDO-TT.............

Hey streetlighter, who do you work for?

gcresser said:
internal ignitor
[E] external ignitor and much cheaper

But fitting a little more!

We have a warehouse with a mix of fittings from same manufacturer. They are a mix of 250 SON and SON [E]. Different batches bought during a switch of manufacture.

It is easier to purchase lamps with internal ignitors. These actually work in a fitting with an ignitor in it - The lamps ignitor glows red hot an fails, turning the lamp into a SON[E].

This doesn't work with 70watts - tried and failed!

It was on guidance from the manufacture that we tried this, as we complained (trying for some money off) due to different switch gear on same staged delivery.

Metal halide is good, but the re-strike time is too long (not too bad in a freezer - the cold helps the re-strike). Must be used behind a glass cover, not plastic. Seen several people replace son gear tray with metal halide rather than change the fitting.

Every type of light has it's place. SON looks great on old buildings, and metal halide good on new.

A few years ago I did some lighting for a posh house/castle......

62sbl8g.jpg

And a warehouse loading bay last year....

67exfyr.jpg

NOTICE: SON verse Metal Halide ;) Each has a place.

Lectrician said:
And a warehouse loading bay last year....
67exfyr.jpg

NOTICE: SON verse Metal Halide ;) Each has a place.
Also note metal halide being used in a controlled low-temperature environment! ;)

Ive seen the CDM lamps fitted in place of ordinary SON-T lamps on a scheme where all the Phosco lanterns had plastic shades needless to say most of them have large holes melted in them from the heat of the lamp.
Getting on the SON-E/I lamps subject ive been to columns where a well know lighting maintenance contractor has fitted SON-T lamps instead and as there was no ignitor in the circuit those lamps where out for a while.

Thanks for all the replys!

I wish to illuminate a 8m x 4m smoking area in a car park next to a nigh club

Just wondering what the equilivent output is compaired with a gls lamp

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back