Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm new here!

I've just bought a new build semi detached for £250,000. My neighbours house is about 30cm lower down than mine since our houses are built on an incline.

I know it's a semi, I expect to hear some noise, they have a piano and i can faintly hear it when it's being played and I'm fine with that.

What can I do about hearing my neighbours walking about on their landing and up their stairs? I can hear the vibrations and it sounds awful. Our houses are mirror images so our living rooms are the furthest apart and even then, when they're walking about in their upstairs and I'm sitting in the living room it sounds as if they're walking about in the upstairs of my house. Not to mention i hear every door that's closed.

I've complained to the building contractor (not about the family, this isn't their fault) but I'm guessing it's going to be on me to resolve the matter? I'd also like to insulate the noise coming from my side because I wouldn't want them to have to put up hearing me and the wife walking about either.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :D

Sponsored Links
check the lease. Does it permit hard floors? Or does it require carpets?

Sponsored Links
check the lease. Does it permit hard floors? Or does it require carpets?

Sorry, It's not a lease as I've bought it. Next door, as well as my house, is fully carpeted with good underlay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back