Soundproofing the neighbours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone here had any experience with soundproofing a room against the noise of thoughtless neighbours? There are panels you can buy (50mm thick) that you glue to the walls which apparently increase the soundproofing on a party wall by up to 15db. The only thing is they are about £30 per sqm. Just wondered if anyone knows about these.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
We had a similar problem with our neighbours, we moved to a detached property - problem gone!

We did look into sound proofing though, most of the better systems require a stud wall to be built against the existing party wall, this then has some isolation material to stop the transfer of sound. However a lot of sound is carried in the ceiling space, and by the joists, this is a lot more difficult to stop.

It's a very costly exercise. Have you tried talking to your neighbours? they may not realise that they are causing a problem. If they persist you can always contact the local council to get an abatement order raised, although this can take many months.

A lot of people don't realise that they are making a lot of noise. My neighbour has a young child that seems to be allowed to do just what it wants without any attempt to quieten its ways. I have spoken to them but after an initial period the noise just continued. The main problem is late night laughing and believe it or not sexual groaning which just comes right through the bedroom wall. A difficult one to complain about really. We're not talking loud music here, just everyday sounds by a person with an unusually loud voice.

Sponsored Links
Just echo the groaning, but more theatrical, that should embarras them. :oops:

I just stick Bowie on when the neighbours get loud, I enjoy it but it probably pees them off.
We live in an overcrowded country so give n take is now essential

Scoby_Beasley said:

I sympathise with kingsley, where we used to be it was rented out (different people every few weeks) we could hear Her having a good time, its actually very annoying.

I would be inclined to say something like "you enjoyed yourself last night then?" or even "it may have been good for you but it wasn't for me"

breezer said:
Scoby_Beasley said:

I sympathise with kingsley, where we used to be it was rented out (different people every few weeks) we could hear Her having a good time, its actually very annoying.

I would be inclined to say something like "you enjoyed yourself last night then?" or even "it may have been good for you but it wasn't for me"
Me n me ex neighbour in Scotland had better timing than our g/friends, the walls where so thin !!!!!!!

I decided diplomacy was the best solution for me. I did look into resilient bars and the like but the problem is you have to do a whole lot more than just the party wall in one room. You have to do the ceiling and the party wall in the room above...the price goes through the roof and you loose a lot of space. I've spoken to the neighbours both sides and invited them to tell me if it's (the hi-fi not the sex :D ) getting too much or if it's at an inconvenient time and won't make noise too early, too late or very often.

Maybe a better solution than trying to make her feel awkward is to let him know you can hear them through the wall but you don't really mind because it never lasts long anyway ;) . I think maybe it'll be him telling her to shut her trap to cover up his pitiful performance in the sack :oops:

Many years ago we had this problem in a semi when we lived in Stockton-on-Tees. There was no sexual groaning but the neighbours would have "friends round for a drink" till 3 in the morning, several times a week.

I discovered our chimneys were linked by a small (10mm) hole so I bought a little "dictaphone" from Tandy. I threaded the extension microphone through into their fireplace and set it to record.

The following morning I knocked on their door and played the tape back. I told them it was just what we could hear from our living room. They were horrified and from then on they cut their parties short at midnight.

A few months later we moved to a detached house and sold our house to a girl in her early twenties. We found out later that she was holding wild parties every night and our "noisy" neighbours had moved out!

I confess to feeling very guilty because they were really nice people.

I'll add to what others have said: soundproofing is expensive, seldom the answer and seldom as effective as you think. I did quite a lot of research at the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back