Sovereign XSS40A Lawnmower - Carb Set-up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Sovereign XSS40A Lawnmower from which i removed the carb around 6 months back to clean as it kept cutting out, only issue is i now cant remember how the lavers/springs were connected to it. Ive done it how i think it should be, but can someone advise please (pics attached)

Attachments

• IMG_20180616_081950195.jpg
    IMG_20180616_081950195.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 2,377
  • IMG_20180616_082455134_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180616_082455134_HDR.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 3,332
Sponsored Links
I'm not too sure about the spring hooking onto another spring (first pic) but more importantly, how does the machine start and run?
It's particularly important that the engine can maintain a pretty high speed without continuously slowing down and speeding up - which is what the governor asks it to do.
John :)

Thanks for your reply...its doesnt that well...revs high and then low which makes me believe it shouldnt be hooked onto there...if not where should it hook onto?

I must say, I'm struggling here - the springs you show are distorted and over extended - are you sure there isn't one missing?
Anyway - as shown here, the engine is off and the governor rod is holding the throttle wide open, which is correct. When the engine starts, the governor should close the throttle against the stop - if the machine has a manual throttle lever, of course set to low speed running.
Two questions -
Does the engine keep running if you manually turn the lever to touch the throttle stop screw?
Does it have a manual throttle lever, or is it a fixed speed engine?

Sponsored Links
I cant say for 100% that there isn't one missing...I was hoping that someone else had the same lawnmower and they could look at theirs...i have found if i detach the spring the engine runs at very high revs so i guess it needs to be attached somewhere to pull back the mechanism that opens the throttle, back to the stop screw. There isn't a manual throttle

Regards

Can you give us a pic of the lever underneath the plastic cover in your second picture?
No manual throttle lever often means no tickover screw.......turn the spring loaded idle screw in a bit to prevent the mechanism bouncing around and try that......you aren't really that far off, I think but leave your springs connected of course.

IMG_20180617_204332345.jpg
Ive changed the spring position on the carb as i think i can remember it being positioned there and it makes sense that it pulls the throttle back to the idle position...havent tried it yet thou..plus heres the new pics

Attachments

• IMG_20180617_204332345.jpg
    IMG_20180617_204332345.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 1,280
Sorry Nik I don't think that's correct but sadly can't really suggest anything else.....how does it run now?

Damned fiendish, these Chinese ;) The loop in the wire (rod) that comes off the throttle quadrant in top of picture - That's for a spring (y) no idea where the other end goes but it'll put the quadrant against the stop screw.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back