Space saving stairs

as before the extra brickwork isn't really doing anything as to whether the corbelled bit is, is another matter. But if I had to hazard a guess I would say it is probably self supporting. What did the SE say. Why not take it all down from the stack down to the ceiling if it is causing you that much worry

Sponsored Links
as before the extra brickwork isn't really doing anything as to whether the corbelled bit is, is another matter. But if I had to hazard a guess I would say it is probably self supporting. What did the SE say. Why not take it all down from the stack down to the ceiling if it is causing you that much worry

Just weighing up the options from a cost / disruption point of view really .... I think we'll end up taking the lot out but if there's an easier way to make it safe I will.

The SE hasn't seen the naked photos yet as he's away for Easter ... He asked me to knock some more plaster off to see better what's happening but just thought I'd drop it here to see what you guys thought :)

It's clearly an attempt to cover up a structural problem ... My concern isnt just imminent collapse though, it's also that we need to somewhat load to the roof during the conversion and the purlin isn't keyed in to the gable, it's sitting on the side of the chimney stack

It was once supported by the gable but it's all decayed and been removed

Blackmailing your SE? Well, sometimes it's the only way.

Lol ... Did sound a bit wrong didn't it

Well he's seen the bare brick photos now has advised that because it's redundant the best course of action will be to remove it ...

This means that we might just get the stairs in :)

Any of you guys know roughly how much to take down a chimney stack to ceiling level ?

Sponsored Links
The engineer should be able to design some kind of bracket to support the end of the purlin. Something like a length of steel angle built into the wall and bolted to the purlin.

Take it down, £4-£500 for the scaffold and then take it down yourself plus the cost of a skip, then piece the roof back in. Is there a shared stack above the roof line as the brick work on the neighbours side may need addressing too.

The roofer that's fitting the Windows is charging me £400 on top of the velux's to take it down and make good .....

Sounds like a fair deal to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back