Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 305
Sponsored Links
A floor plan with dimensions, including changes of levels would be useful, it's hard to understand exactly what is going on with the steps at the end of the stairs and the ones by the door. You could oblique the tread you have shown oblique. If that plate is just sat on the joists then no it's probably not supporting much, get shot of it if it gives you more space, as said before that bit of new brickwork isn't really doing much especially if the plate is sat on the ceiling joists
Not really understanding the door at the bottom at right angles to the main flight, why two sets of steps coming onto the loft flight

This is outside the room looking in currently ... The stairs are going where the wardrobes are and a partition wall to divide the room ( with a the right angle door into this room on the left )

The extra two steps and little landing are required because I haven't got the run to get up to the high ceilings. They will be outside this door and this door will be knocked into an archway to match another Victorian arch in another part of the house.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 313
Sponsored Links
I've got a designer drawing it up
Then respectfully why are you on here? We don't mind, that's what the forum is for but really that’s what you’re paying your fee for so don’t like to see you getting short changed. Or is he one short of a baker's dozen?

Well tbh yes, I'm losing a bit of confidence in the detailing of the project .... Ive pointed out so many mistakes it's making me nervous. He does this for a living and works on massive projects but this is simple stuff really.

If he's used to massive projects he may not be clued up/forgotten the regs etc that apply to smaller domestic settings..?

[QUOTE If he's used to massive projects he may not be clued up/forgotten the regs etc that apply to smaller domestic settings..?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea tbh .... All I know is what I have access to.

Not sure what you want me to say ?

Update .... the SE has been round and said to take out a few coarses and look what's going on .... It seems the corballed brickwork has been repaired and this metal plate some kind of bodge job support :(

Knocking the plaster off I see there's a dirty great hole in the chimney, nothing is keyed in to the wall and the mortar is crumbling !!!

The SE is away for Easter .... What you dudes reckon should be the plan ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 296
If all the problems with the proposed staircase is due to this steel plate resting on the ceiling joists (which in itself seems highly dubious) then surely the best option is to get rid of the steel plate? It appears from the later photos that there is minimal tying in between the chimney breast and the party wall (not that uncommon) so maybe installing some stainless steel ties, something like the helifix ties, would stabilise the chimney breast enough to remove the steel plate. Alternatively to provide some additional support to the corbelled brickwork maybe a gallows bracket? In a nutshell, address the issues with the chimney breast rather than trying to bodge the stairs.

If all the problems with the proposed staircase is due to this steel plate resting on the ceiling joists (which in itself seems highly dubious) then surely the best option is to get rid of the steel plate? It appears from the later photos that there is minimal tying in between the chimney breast and the party wall (not that uncommon) so maybe installing some stainless steel ties, something like the helifix ties, would stabilise the chimney breast enough to remove the steel plate. Alternatively to provide some additional support to the corbelled brickwork maybe a gallows bracket? In a nutshell, address the issues with the chimney breast rather than trying to bodge the stairs.

Thank you... That's very much the plan but that remedial brickwork needs to come out to fit the stairs in ....

It's clearly not a professional job so maybe it was just built to support the corbal while it set ? I've no idea but it's dodgy to say the least.

the problem with helifix is that the side walls of the chimney don't structurally exist ... There's nothing on the one side and huge holes and loose brickwork in the other I have the gable side and the front is questionable

I was thinking maybe a two gallows brackets either side and a steel plate to sit the brickwork on ?

Any other suggestions welcome, I'm a bit stressed about it falling down tbh, it's right over my daughters bedroom

Has the chimney breast been removed below? If not I wouldn't worry about collapse, as the load passes down vertically the chimney breast won't collapse, the only minor potential danger is if the chimney stack above the roof is in especially poor condition it could in theory blow over in a severe storm but otherwise should be OK.

Is it a shared chimney stack with next door? Do you intend to use the chimney or is it redundant?

Options.......You could repair/rebuild the chimney breast/stack; remove it completely; insert additional support in the form of gallows brackets or steel beam etc.

It's not shared but not used by us either ... The stack above the roof is in excellent condition.

The Breast below is still there all the way down.... What's stopping it blowing over ( up or down the angle of the roof )

If it is redundant and not likely to be used in the future my preferred option would to take the entire chimney stack and breast down. Not the cheapest but will free up valuable floor space.

Option 2, prop the stack and rebuild the dodgy corbelled section, tying it into the gable wall at the same time.

It looks like the previous repair is a complete bodge and probably someone over reacting when they noticed the differential cracking and loose brickwork in the chimney breast in the loft. I am usually very cautious and there is nothing I can see in the photos that would cause undue concern.

By the way if the stack is in good condition it wont blow over, not enough surface area to catch the wind, inherent stability of a brick "box" and probably low centre of gravity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back