Spade Connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Strictly speaking, this is auto electrics, but I wanted the benefit of the wider audience here.

I have just bought a copy part heated mirror glass for the Octavia to replace the one some scrote nicked. Don't ask me how they got it out in one piece....

Anyhow, the replacement glass has the element terminals on the far edge of the glass, but the wires in the mirror housing are only long enough to reach the part of the mirror glass nearest the door. The seller is not very helpful (I asked him to phone his supplier & they helpfully stated that no-one else has complained and they're all like that).

Before I get a refund, I thought, I know, lets extend the existing wires.

I have had a quick look at places like Maplin, but am not sure if what I want exists.

The mirror wires terminate in small female spade connectors. The sort you see on loudspeakers. Can you get male spade connectors this size? The few car accessory places I have been to say no.

The best way to extend would be to make an extension piece, with a male spade on one end to connect to the existing wiring & female on the other to connect to the mirror glass.

The seller's helpful suggestions include butchering the existing loom and extending with 5A connectors or scotchloks.... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The best way to extend would be to make an extension piece, with a male spade on one end to connect to the existing wiring & female on the other to connect to the mirror glass

At least this way, you won't be cutting into the existing loom. You can get these connectors at City Electrical Factors. Or at Screwfix

Or just order the mirror for the other side and turn it upside down :D .

You need to measure it, the normal ones are 6.3 mm i think and there are two smaller sizes, Afaik

Sponsored Links
Cable Services in Wrexham should be able to help.
We get all our stuff from the Liverpool branch and we have different sizes so should be no problem.

Tel. 01978 356948
Fax. 01978 310438

or Tel. 01978 263657
Fax. 01978 311315

Hope this helps.

If it is the size I am thinking of - about 2mm across then you might get away with using something like a blade crimp.

The best way to extend would be to make an extension piece, with a male spade on one end to connect to the existing wiring & female on the other to connect to the mirror glass.
Not sure that introducing more spade connectors is the best way.

The seller's helpful suggestions include butchering the existing loom and extending with 5A connectors or scotchloks.... :rolleyes:
Would cutting the existing spades off and extending the wires by soldering and heat-shrinking count as "butchering"?

Just cut and solder the wires, realistically how often do these bits need replacing/removing, never

I decided in the end to extend with male & female spade terminals.

This way, if the mirror is ever changed for a kosher Skoda unit, the extensions can just be unplugged and the original terminals fitted to the replacement mirror unit.

And I am happier not altering the existing wiring.

I would have extended like that for exactly the same reasons.

Who knows when you may have to put an original unit back in.

sounds to me as if the mirrors are "handed" and you have the wrong one which puts the connections to the wrong side

I'm no electrician, but you're not dealing with 240 volts here. :rolleyes: Cut the fckrs and wind them together with a bit of insulating tape like everyone else. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back