Spalled Bricks?

OP,
I'm afraid its you who are confused. My post was directed at JohnD V2.0. not yourselves.

AAMOI; Why now show what should have been presented on the original post? How can you be properly advised without telling us the full story - is there anything else?

Sponsored Links
vinn - Half your reply refers to pictures (I'm the only one that's posted pics on here), whilst the other half refers to something else. This wasn't very clear.

On your other point, I don't get you. My question was about the section below the DPC, that's what I showed?

Why didn't you post all the photos in the first post. Seeing the various brick & blockwork now tells a much fuller story.

The other business, the whole post, is my reply to John D V2.0 who jumped into this thread with a confused post.
I directed him to look at your photos to understand what was happening on your house.
John D V2.0's post is the kind of thing that happens when people Hi jack or divert a thread without knowing it.

I don't think the OP came in thinking he'd need to defend his decision to render.

Its like posting in Electrics and saying "I'm having a rewire, can I save this bit" accompanied by a piccy of some new cable to a cooker circuit you think might be possible to keep and save some money on. He won't expect to take and post photos of the rest of the wiring!

Sponsored Links
I don't think the OP came in thinking he'd need to defend his decision to render.

Its like posting in Electrics and saying "I'm having a rewire, can I save this bit" accompanied by a piccy of some new cable to a cooker circuit you think might be possible to keep and save some money on. He won't expect to take and post photos of the rest of the wiring!

Spot on.

Why would you paint again when you state that "damage was caused by water getting behind the paint"?
Exactly and that was why I didn't suggest painting it, as stated - "If you repoint with weaker mortar and make sure the brickworks can dry out, you might stop the damage to the lower bricks." Painting isn't really a good way to make sure they can dry out.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/spalled-bricks.468482/#ixzz4MwrYUk58

I would always voice concerns about turning an acceptable brick façade into a maintenance headache. To me, rendering is a last resort.

No - it is nothing like that. Crap analogy.

Christian and Beccy, I owe you an apology, and I apologise for my comments and confusing posts.

John D V2.0, I also apologise to you for not reading your post correctly and my later comment.

@noseall My response was a reply to Vinn expecting the OP to be thoughful enough to include photos of the whole house and all its walls in the first post - not in response to members follow-on queries.

^woody^,
I wasn't talking to you but if you wish to be a smug busybody who makes pompous remarks - then no problem, I am indeed talking to you.

My original remark in roofing was made as a general enquiry - no aggression involved, it was:
"Are you talking to me or the OP?" sounds reasonable enough.
But your fragile sensitivity was apparently shocked that someone had even questioned you on a DIY forum. Have you ever worked on a building site?
You must have felt under attack and very defensive to answer:
"Its a public forum" - thank goodness it is, & ego trippers & self appointed gurus such as yourself can have their covers pulled.

Limewash,
I'm glad that you can recognise a good zone when you see it. Perhaps you will eventually have something informative or sensible to say?

mfarrow,
Professionals on site try and see the larger picture - it gives a context for advising accordingly.
I try to do the same on here, and give value judgements or enlarge the thread, where I think money or "beautiful" fabric might be saved.
As well as sticking to the bare technical bones of the question(s) by simply having a little more info (esp. photos) its possible to provide a solution.

As a roofer do you take it as Gospel that the manifestation of the leak is the point of water penetration - I doubt it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back