Spam

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a test couple of days ago from someone who I know asking if I got earlier email

I said no, resend

Gets an email from this guy claiming he is stranded somewhere in the lady boy land and his passport, baggage, passport etc have been stolen and he is in touch with British consulate to get him home. He needs to pay hotel bills etc etc

He is looking for funds and will reimburse as soon as he gets home

I texted the lad's wife and asked if her man was in Glasgow
Both replied to say he is in Glasgow and not in harms way to pick up some exotic STD

The fact that the spammer will now have my email address, should I take any action?

Regards

Dan

Sponsored Links
Just knowing email address is not going to haunt you any further. Just ignore any emails and DO NOT click any link sent by them. You should be fine.

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Got a test couple of days ago from someone who I know asking if I got earlier email

I said no, resend

You mean you got a text, and replied to it? Did you tell the recipient your email address?

If so, you are now on a list of "potential victims*" because you replied and gave away information to a scammer, and you should expect a lot more. If you told them your name, and if you are on, say, Facebook, you can expect emails that look more convincing, because they will address you by name, and may say they are from people whose names you know, or who claim to share your interest in, say, Stamp collecting and West Highland Terriers. If your dob is visible anywhere, they may wish you happy birthday.
You might consider changing your email address.

You need a good Spam Filter. Your ISP/whoever runs you email account probably has one, you could see if it can be tightened up. Your Internet Security package may have one (mine does) so I see very little spam now. Occasionally I look in my Spam Mailboxes for any genuine mail that has been caught, and delete the rest.

(*the list includes people who have responded to, or opened, previous spam, because they have shown themselves to be insufficiently vigilant.
The reason spam often contains spelling and grammatical errors is to weed out anyone who is careful and not easily fooled, so not an easy touch)

• Thanks
Gets an email from this guy claiming he is stranded somewhere in the lady boy land and his passport, baggage, passport etc have been stolen and he is in touch with British consulate to get him home. He needs to pay hotel bills etc etc

Yeah, the scammer has got access to your email contact list....

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Thank you fellas for your answers

What do I do now

You mean you got a text, and replied to it? Did you tell the recipient your email address?

John, for purpose of qualification, is a real person who had his computer hacked
So the guy who sent me the email, claimed to be John asking if I had his earlier email
I replied, no
Gets another email from the scammer
After this I texted real John’s wife
Answer comes back confirming person claiming to be John and saying he is stuck in far off land is a scammer

does the scammer have your mobile number and confirmed email address?
He will probably be trying to take control of your account. Change passwords frequently and use strong passwords and use a different mobile as the reset mechanism for accounts. Do the changes from a different computer, in case you have a key logger.

• Thanks
John, the person in Glasgow will have my mobile number
The scammer, what details he has, I do not know

Thanks for your help

The scammer could have access to you friends email account obtaining your phone number there and have no access to yours, but no way of knowing.
Best to change your password and recommend friend does the same.

Sponsored Links
Back