Spanish to start making claims over Gibraltar in trade talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I have mentioned on a number of occasions.

Day 1 of Brexit and already there are signs of taking back control (y)

As an EU member state, the UK had been able to resist Spanish claims over the territory but Madrid will now have the full support of the other 26 countries in the bloc.

Sponsored Links
Says who?
How do you know the other 26 countries want to get involved in a dispute that is no concern of theirs?

Tell. The Spanish to. Go and do one.

Nation of waiters ;)

And dodgy builders. ;)

As I have mentioned on a number of occasions.

Day 1 of Brexit and already there are signs of taking back control (y)

As an EU member state, the UK had been able to resist Spanish claims over the territory but Madrid will now have the full support of the other 26 countries in the bloc.

Didn't gibraltarians vote over 90% to remain British?

Sponsored Links
It's not really strategically important anymore.
My thoughts, put up a bit of a fight, create a fuss, use it as leverage in the trade negotiations, then say OK Pedro, it's yours, take it.
Imagine their faces when they realise it's just a big rock with loads of monkeys on it.

Spain has a veto right on any deal agreed, its in A50

while both the UK and Spain were members of the EU, the bloc was obliged to remain neutral on any disputes related to the region
As of today, allegiance has shifted from UK to EU

Spain has a veto right on any deal agreed, its in A50

while both the UK and Spain were members of the EU, the bloc was obliged to remain neutral on any disputes related to the region
As of today, allegiance has shifted from UK to EU

So, what is Spain gonna do about it?

It's not really strategically important anymore.
My thoughts, put up a bit of a fight, create a fuss, use it as leverage in the trade negotiations, then say OK Pedro, it's yours, take it.
Imagine their faces when they realise it's just a big rock with loads of monkeys on it.

So what about the Gibraltarians that support this Country, most of which either work over the Border in Spain or work in the Dock Yard that supports our Navy as a strategic Half way point to the Middle East

I meant "So ... they might have changed their minds".

Yes, Spain does have territories in Africa. Is that anything to do with the UK leaving the EU?

No more the Gibraltar has anything to do with leaving the EU. So?

It gives Spain power in trade talks, Gibraltar is a bargaining chip

Spain will want fishing rights for example......

In what way? it was ceded to Britain in 1713, it's not up for negotiation, in much the same way France isn't, it too shares a border with Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back