"Historical claim"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are currently several territorial disputes and "historical claims" in the world today. Some of them are over resources (Spratley Islands), but some seem to have little value. We have Argentina who want the Falklands, Spain who want Gibraltar, apparently a few French want the Channel Islands... and those are just a few "historical claims" involving Britain. I am not sure if we have any state-backed campaign to get back Normandy, but I can't guarantee that ;)

I can't help but think it's all a bit daft. Not in that I think we should give the lands away to whoever wants them, but because the claims seem so tenuous and ancient.

And in all cases there are plenty of other disputes that could be made: would Spain be happy to give away Ceuta to Morocco? Or hand over control of the Canaries to Western Sahara, as an example. Or perhaps give Corsica to Italy? In the case of the EU states it's all a bit academic I guess.

Oh, and I'm yet to hear of any state-backed campaigns to move the continental European borders back to pre-1914 locations.

Which all leads me to think: do the states making claims against the territories of others over "historical claim" really mean it? Or is it just something they do to pass the time, or a dispute they can keep in their back pocket next time they want an argument?

Or is it because as an island, we feel borders are easily defined (by water) and those who live in countries with land-borders are a little more edgy about them?

Sponsored Links
Not too sure about some, although one you have forgotten Adam is that Calais is actually still British..well English territory..although I think we gave up on it centuries ago..

Regarding the Falkland Islands, the Argies have no claim at all.

Discovered by Ferginand Magellan and claimed for the Spanish, 20 years later the British took them from the Spanish in one of our many wars, then they were forgotten about for soetime, at which point the French entered the scene. Incenced by their cheek, the Royal Navy sent a fleet that took the islands back, I believe without a shot being fired, and they have been British territory ever since.

The Argentine have never been in possession of them, and ever since Argentinia ceeded independance from Spain they have never claimed them. It was Junta that tried to make political capital out of them as a way to divert the problems in Argentina caused by their reckless management of the country.

The ARgentinians have no claim, and that has been recognised by the UN.

I read once that Norway has a claim on the Shetlands.

Apparently people in the Shetlands feel closer in culture to those in Norway - Oslo is much nearer to them than London, after all.

And I heard once that people in Norfolk feel more affinity to the Nederlanders rather then to Londoners (probably desperate to disassociate themselves with London).

As for the Canaries - are you sure the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic wouldn't claim them?

Yeah I love these territorial claim things - they are quite interesting. I don't think any are tenuous - territority is always valuable, especially for bases in war.

AdamW said:
I am not sure if we have any state-backed campaign to get back Normandy, but I can't guarantee that ;)
I thought britain already owned normandy? Those living near guildford will know what i mean. ;)

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
AdamW said:
I am not sure if we have any state-backed campaign to get back Normandy, but I can't guarantee that ;)
I thought britain already owned normandy? Those living near guildford will know what i mean. ;)

Stuff the lot of ya, i am going to live on my British islands of ---St Helena and Tristan de Cunha :LOL: :LOL:

Where?? they will be saying, but only the old fart Kendor and Pip will know this one, but i think a great place for a holiday--look it up :D

Freddie said:
kendor said:
AdamW said:

Stuff the lot of ya, i am going to live on my British islands of ---St Helena and Tristan de Cunha :LOL: :LOL:

Where?? they will be saying, but only the old fart Kendor and Pip will know this one, but i think a great place for a holiday--look it up :D
Who you calling old? :mad:

On 17 April 1986 a remarkable event occurred in the Isles of Scilly - something overlooked by history books and the Guinness Book Of World Records - the longest war in history was ended.

It all started during the English Civil War (1642-1648), when Parliamentarianism was spreading through the country on the back of Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658). Royalist strongholds, areas where the Royal armies were still in control, were being beaten back - further and further away from London.

Scilly was soon the last place to be a Royalist stronghold, owned by Royalist supporter Sir John Grenville. Mainland England had been cleared of such supporters by the Parliamentarians.

The Parliamentarians' supporters, the Netherlands, sent ships in to aid the struggle against the Royalists. As Scilly became the last Royalist stronghold, the Royalist navy operated from the Islands.

So much havoc was caused by the Royalist navy on the Dutch navy that the Dutch decided to declare war. However, they could not declare war on England, as it was not England at fault - it was the Royalists, and the Royalists were in Scilly - so they declared war on the Islands.

Admiral Maarten Harpertszoon Tromp (1597-1653) went to Scilly to demand reparation for the Dutch ships and goods taken by them and, after receiving no satisfactory answer, declared war.

War was declared in 1651. Immediately after war was declared, Admiral Robert Blake (1599-1657) arrived in Scilly with the Parliamentarian fleet and said that he would deal with the pirates. In June 1651, Scilly's Royalist stronghold fell to the Parliamentarians. The war was over and forgotten about, even before the Dutch managed to fire a single shot. However, the Dutch also forgot to sign a peace treaty with the Islands.

In 1985, local historian-come-Chairman of the Council, Roy Duncan, decided to look into the rumours that "Scilly was still at war with the Netherlands". When he asked the Dutch embassy in London, they said that the rumour was accurate. Cllr. Duncan decided to invite the Dutch ambassador in London, Jonkheer Huydecoper, to the Islands in order to sign they treaty.

The treaty was signed on 17 April 1986, 335 years after it was declared.

Freddie said:
kendor said:
AdamW said:

I knew them, but only because I used to collect stamps when I was younger. could've gone for St.Kitts - Nevis as well.

Is there any reason why Gibraltar, or the Falklands or the others can't just go independent ? Why do they have to be run by someone else ??

johnny_t said:
Is there any reason why Gibraltar, or the Falklands or the others can't just go independent ? Why do they have to be run by someone else ??
Is it because there is still this british empire mentality around?

kendor said:
johnny_t said:
Is it because there is still this british empire mentality around?
Actually the revenue the Falklanders pay in tax's more than pays for the defence of the Islands, so who knows they may be better off before Tony sells them down the river.

On Kendors point it's not actually true as the Brirish were the first to lay claim to inhabital hostile Islands and they then abandaned them for a few years before the Argentinians discovered them, but then they left, probably because of the climate and no trees. Then the British reoccupied them about 200 years ago

St Kilda thats another one, had to take the occupents off in the 1930's cause they were inbreeding i believe, it looks like some lost island.

Sponsored Links
Back