speaka da english

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advertised in my local paper, a vacancy at the NHS hospital for an Urdu and Punjabi translator 17K TO 21K

Another waste of NHS resourses :!: what about them learning english or paying for a translator themselves :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Advertised in my local paper, a vacancy at the NHS hospital for an Urdu and Punjabi translator 17K TO 21K

Another waste of NHS resourses :!: what about them learning english or paying for a translator themselves :evil: :evil:

think off all the british people in spain who have moved there for "a better life" of course they all speak fluent spannish don't they!!!!!!!

Do the Spanish provide translators?

No.

But unlike a very large portion of expats, a fair smattering of the indiginous population can speak English (and certainly in the hospitals), so it's irrelevant.

Sponsored Links
So are you saying that you are happy to pay for translators? You pay for dental, legal and just about everything else - so why should they get free translators? User pay?

No, I don't agree with providing translators FOC, far from it. I was pointing out the difference between us and Spain in regard to our respective mother tongues.

However, neither country would, I suspect, have Urdu and other non-mainstream languages on the tip of their tongue.

That said, the Spanish would expect, if you wanted some help, to at least make an attempt to communicate in their language, not their having to tip up with some translator eating into their health funding. Seems an entirely reasonable approach to me.

Interestingly, notwithstanding an EC agreement, the Spanish are withdrawing free health care for expats in some areas of Spain from the end of this month.

No.

But unlike a very large portion of expats, a fair smattering of the indiginous population can speak English (and certainly in the hospitals), so it's irrelevant.

So when was the last time you seeked medical help in Spain Shytalkz? Probably never if that statement is anything to go by.

I was in Benidorm back in April and needed urgent medical help for my baby daughter so I jumped in a taxi and went to the local hospital.
Not one person spoke english apart from the woman on the front desk who spoke pigeon english. I had to use hand gestures to communicate with the doctors and in the end we managed to communicate.
I have since been told that this is the norm in Benidorm and the hosptial staff DO NOT and WILL NOT speak english and they do not see any reason why they should start which is fair enough in my opinion. I even struggled in just one of the many side street chemists they have over there.

This was Benidorm and there is probably more English in Benidorm then there are in London.

I always tell people about when we went to Peterborough Maternity Hospital and they had 11 different language versions of the same poster in a row on the wall :rolleyes:
Plus we've been there where appointments are cancelled due to no translator and other times when a translator is there for 3 hours for one appointment costing a fortune.

I like the way you can get anything you like at a Spanish pharmacy; tetanus shots, antibiotics...

From people I know who have moved to Europe I would say the UK is the only country who actually honours all the agreements and laws.
If a european country doesn't want you there, they make things as difficult as possible for you whereas we stupidly follow everything to the letter.

Glassman, seeing as I lived out there, and my mother was taken terminally ill out there and was thus making extensive use of hospital facilities, you're way off beam in your assumptions.

I did also say in my second post
That said, the Spanish would expect, if you wanted some help, to at least make an attempt to communicate in their language, not their having to tip up with some translator eating into their health funding.
Just as you found (hope that your daughter made a good recovery btw).

You are making the mistake of assuming that "tourist Spain" aka Bendidorm, Torremolinos and other scummy dumps inhabited or used as holiday venues by the Brits are the same as those areas of Spain away from the English bars, English breakfasts and kiss-me-quick hat stalls.

They're not.

What I want to know, is if the foreign doctors are going to work in our hospitals, then why wont they learn our language instead of needing a translator :LOL: :LOL:

Of course its important to have an urdu translator otherwise the patient may receive the wrong treatment!

was in italy on my bike this year, one of the gang got the run's, we went to chemist , he could not speak english , mate point's to his upset belly then bum ,then noise, doc , go's ahh and gave him something for it,:cool: it was a hour later we found out it was cornflower but at least it thicken it up :LOL: :LOL:

You should have used another country in your joke because the Italian for diarrhea is diarrea. Meaning he would have to be able to understand.

Sponsored Links
Back