speaker sound or lack of!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Independently powered speakers with woofer attached to my pc. Sound clicks off after a few minutes of normal play. I replaced the pc then I replaced the speakers then I had an electrician check all the houshold ring main. It still does it! Advice on here suggested RF interference? Cant imagine what that could be? I have a house alarm , perhaps? To explain the details: The power and performance of the pc is not affected. The power light on the speakers is constant. The fault occurs after about 5 mins and is preceded by a click. The sound returns after say 30mins then repeats the fault over and over again. Its driving me nuts! Help! :confused:

Sponsored Links
I was just going to say the same. Seems strange to replace the PC (most expensive item) first and get an electrician in, before making sure the speaker system is not at fault.

Sponsored Links
so he did. My mistake, but still, replacing the PC first?

Has the speaker system got an amp which is still the original?

Are the speakers ran via a powered amplifier/woofer? This seems to be the obvious fault still.

Try it with a small pair of headphones plugged directly into the PC.

I cannot see how the fault could be the same over two different PC's. An electrician is the last person you need here.

Advice on here suggested RF interference? Cant imagine what that could be?
Have you tried imagining passing taxis or whatever?

As you have replaced the PC and speakers already, the most likely cause is an RF issue.
Such as passing taxis or whatever emitting a high level radio signal, which is picked up by the speaker or signal leads, overloads the amplifier and causes it to shut down.

Although would it be that regular? Is there an amplifier driving these speakers? Is it overheating?

There are two things you do need to stop imagining though:

1) that this problem is anything to do with your electrics,

2) that you should keep posting in the Electrics forum about it.

It's just about possible that something is causing a mains spike (or burst of conducted RF) sufficient to shut down the sound card in the PC. Unlikely I agree, but stranger things have happened.

Adrian, what are you doing on the PC when this problem happens? E.g. listening to iTunes, playing online games?

Thanks everyone for your comments. I should have added that yes the pc via headphones is perfect and that a neighbour has run my speakers at his home thru his pc and all is ok there.

Can you confirm if the speakers have their own amp? If so, this surely must be a potential reason? I know you say it worked in a neighbours PC, but that could be a software/driver or soundcard compatibility issue also.

I once had a philips ultimate edge soundcard with 5.1 surround ability. It was an excellent soundcard. Loved it, but it was a nightmare to get the drivers and software going then I first bought the thing.

Sponsored Links
Back