speaker system farce

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently invested in a Logitech Z5500 digital speaker system. It is a 5:1 kit, the best you can buy for under £200. It was about £180.

The 4 L-R speakers have a universal mounting bracket. It is fastened to the speaker at 45 degrees, so twisting it 180 degrees will allow you to mount it on the wall, or stand it on a table. Easy enough.

The centre speaker, however, has a different mount, which swivels so the speaker points higher or lower on moving the mount. It too has screw holes on the mount. The destructions say i have to remove the mount and rotate it so it goes up behind the speaker. This cannot be done, as the screw is resin sealed. The website says to simply tilt the speaker right back on its mount and screw to the wall so the mount is below the speaker. This also cannot be done, as both screw holes would be at the bottom, the bracket would lean away from the wall under the weight of the speaker! It weighs about a kilogram.

So i decided to email logitech.

Customer (Steve Craft) 02/08/2007 06.59 PM
The centre channel speaker - in the manual it states "remove the screw from the neck, rotate stand and replace screw". This makes sense and would look if I could accomplish it. However, the screw has some sort of hard resin sealer on it and cannot be removed. Looking online, you recommend that the base on the centre speaker is not actually removed, but just swung down so the speaker sits above the base. This 1. looks awful (on a £200 speaker system) and 2. is not actually possible, as the speaker will hang away from the wall if mounted this way (both screw holes at the very bottom). Any solutions for wall mounting? Thanks, Steve

Response (Shreenand B.) 03/08/2007 09.18 AM
Dear Mr. Craft,

Thank you for contacting Logitech's Electronic Technical Support.

From your email, I understand that you find difficulties to wall mount the Logitech Z-5500 satellite speakers.

In order to avoid confusions, I would be glad to refer you to the following URL that provides detailed instructions along with illustrations on how to wall mount the satellite speakers:

http://logitech-en-emea.custhelp.co...std_adp.php?p_faqid=2711&p_created=1121878996

Should you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to write back to me.

If you have any additional questions regarding your product, please feel free to visit our website at http://www.logitech.com

Kind Regards,

Shreenand Bagepalli
Logitech Europe SA
European Customer Support

Customer (Steve Craft) 03/08/2007 03.45 PM
Please look at the pictures on the URL you gave me. Figure 2. The speaker is positioned above the bracket. Now imagine two screws through the two holes, into a vertical straight wall to mount the bracket. The speaker will be hanging away from the wall when mounted like this, the weight of the speaker will pull the mount away as the screws are at the bottom.

Also, this is not the method described in the instructions I recieved with the speakers. The instructions say that the bracket on the centre speaker should be removed, and rotated and refixed, so the bracket goes up behind the speaker, as on the rest of the satellite spekers, which I have successfully mounted. This makes more sense, however the screw to remove the bracket has been fixed with hard resin so cannot be done!

Thanks
Steve

Response (Shreenand B.) 06/08/2007 09.12 AM
Dear Mr. Craft,

Thank you for contacting Logitech's Electronic Technical Support.

As per your email, you have mentioned that the centre speaker of the Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System can be rotated according to the instructions received with the speaker system.

I am sorry for the confusion caused in this regard. It seems that the information given in the booklet about rotating centre speaker should be wrong. I will forward this to the concerned department as a feedback or suggestion in correcting the information if so.

I would like to inform you that the speaker base on the centre channel satellite only tilts up or down. To wall mount the centre channel speaker tilt the speaker up all the way. The position should be as indicated in the diagram in the URL given in the previous email.

Should you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to write back to me.

If you have any additional questions regarding your product, please feel free to visit our website at http://www.logitech.com

Kind Regards,

Shreenand B.
Logitech Europe SA
European Customer Support

Customer (Steve Craft) 06/08/2007 06.50 PM
Perhaps I am not making myself clear. Once again you refer to the method of mounting on the website. However this method is flawed. I have attached a diagram to clarify this. Both screw holes are at the bottom of the assembly when mounted like this. Therefore the weight of the speaker (about a kilogram) above the mounting will pull the bracket away from the wall, bending it too. If the whole thing was turned upside down and fastened so the screws are at the top, this would work, but the logos on the speaker would be upside down and it would look awful.

speakerdiagdg0.jpg

And for the benefit of the forum, here is a pic of the offending speaker so you can see what we're blabbing on about!!
dsc00665wl5.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can't you undo the bolt holding the speaker to the bracket and turn it around?
dsc00665wl5aw9.jpg

p.s. you've got a strange taste in magazines for a teenager!!

Spark123 said:
Can't you undo the bolt holding the speaker to the bracket and turn in around?
No, the bolt (nut?) is held by the hex shape in the plastic. The screw into the nut is held by the resin. :(

Sponsored Links
might be a clip on, hard to tell from the photo, worth a look.

tim west said:
No. The single and only way to remove the base is via that screw. :(

Crafty said:
tim west said:

We meant remove the front fascia if possible, and turn it around, so you can fix the whole unit the other way up..........

Crafty said:
tim west said:
No don't mean the base the speaker fascia with the logo on, could it unclip and turn around so the base can be mounted behind the speaker yet the logo will be the right way round?

Looked closer at the photo and it does look like it may pull forward and unclip

Have you tried screwing it to something to see if your theory is correct?

I doubt that 1 kilo would bend that bracket.

Try screwing it to a bit of wood to see happens.

Er - doesn't fig 4 on the instructions link you posted show you how to do it?

ninebob said:
Er - doesn't fig 4 on the instructions link you posted show you how to do it?
That's the satellite speaker not the central speaker which only moves up and down not rotate.

Sponsored Links
Back