Speakers around the whole house

For my downstairs system I have a "mid range" sony seperates system, feeding into a 4 way switchbox here
which switches sounds to one or any combination of: Lounge, Dining Room, Conservatory, Deck (with sonance "rock speakers" here )

For my upstairs system I have a midi system in the bedroom wired directly to the bedroom speakers and a room Switch in the bathroom this
which feeds waterproof ceiling speakers:- here

You could lay down speaker wires from your system to all the rooms you desire, and fit each room with a isolating switch (room switch) or use one of these 4 (or they do a 6) way speaker switch box.

Hope this is of help
Paul

Sponsored Links
And what quality are those switches? Did you listen to them to see if they affected the sound?

And decent speaker cable costs how much per metre? And you need how much to reach into other rooms?

And how do you audition all the different cables that you almost certainly need for the different length/speaker combinations to find the best match?

And given that some amps take a very dim view of having no load, what safety interlock is there if you fit an "isolating switch", which presumably disconnects the speakers?

And why, for God's sake do you want music in so many places? Music is for listening to, not to underlay conversation at a dinner table, or to tinkle away while you tinkle away.

And as for having it in the garden, that's almost obscene.

ban-all-sheds said:
And why, for God's sake do you want music in so many places? Music is for listening to, not to underlay conversation at a dinner table,
Agreed with you bans, I have speakers in most room for my wife to listen to the radio when she's ironing,cooking and making the bed in difference rooms ! But, we don't use it for music listening.

Ban,
someone asked for information if something is possible. I provided information on what products I used and know are available. I made no comments of their quality. We all have our own standards. For me, these products are acceptable.
Music is different things to different people. I like gentle background music generally, or the company of a radio in an empty house. Some think nothing of spending tens of thousands on valve amps, gold plated multi stranded cables etc, etc to achieve pure sound perfection. It's horses for courses.

If I want gentle background music on my decking whilst holding a garden party or BBQ then it's got nothing to do with what you think. If you think it's obscene that's you opinion and I'd advise you don't install a similar system in your pad.

I cannot believe the amount of flack one can attract when trying to help some else on this site sometimes!

I hope my information was of use to someone
Paul

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
Andemz here is a pretty nifty piece of kit that may be just what you want
It allows switching of speakers to different zones automatically using X10 technology or other forms of control, it allows you to hook up two different amps allowing different music to be played in different rooms simultaneously.
here

Wow - just look at those gold plated phono sockets and binding posts.
ab-8spkr.gif

Than heavens they realised the need to use quality audio components, eh?

Engineer Lane said:
Ban,
someone asked for information if something is possible. I provided information on what products I used and know are available. I made no comments of their quality. We all have our own standards. For me, these products are acceptable.
Music is different things to different people. I like gentle background music generally, or the company of a radio in an empty house. Some think nothing of spending tens of thousands on valve amps, gold plated multi stranded cables etc, etc to achieve pure sound perfection. It's horses for courses.

If I want gentle background music on my decking whilst holding a garden party or BBQ then it's got nothing to do with what you think. If you think it's obscene that's you opinion and I'd advise you don't install a similar system in your pad.

I cannot believe the amount of flack one can attract when trying to help some else on this site sometimes!

I hope my information was of use to someone
Paul

I'm just trying to point out the pitfalls and drawbacks as I see them.

As for "background" music, it is the scourge of our age. I have walked out of restaurants when they have been unwilling or unable to turn off the music. I have written to broadcasters complaining about the use of background music. I have complained to shop managers about the use of background music. I have unplugged music systems in shops to stop them.

If you were my neighbour, you would very soon find out that music in your garden was something to do with me....

I like gentle background music generally
Polluter!

Don't want to take sides (like to be a fence sitter like Paddy Ashdown!)

but maybe the key word is "gentle"??

However, I take your point, Ban, about background music. I have had a degree of deafness since birth (was born at 6 months, am 37 now), and it is getting worse just lately. I go to lip-reading classes and they tell youthat when you go out, to sit with your back to the wall, away from the dreaded speakers, preferably in a corner. But of course, when the lipreading classes go out for a meal, we can't all do that!!

Radio & TV are beggers for putting music and other background noise into a piece of broadcasting when it serves no useful purpose at all. It winds me up something chronic. I'm certainly not feeling sorry for myself as a HOH person, but nobody seems to give a tinker's cuss about, amongst others, HOH people. It's only when you or someone close to you has a particular disability that you "wake up" to how others treat you.

Actually, Secures post has just made me realise something: If you do go in for lots of speaker wiring (as well as an a/v and network wiring) then it will make it more difficult to install a hearing aid loop if you decide to at any point. I know they are uncommon in houses but I am sure that there are people with them.

As for ban_all_sheds, you should really watch "Falling Down"! I hate smoking in pubs and restaurants, in fact I think it should be banned in all public places. But until then, if I find myself in the smoking area I don't start coughing at people or demanding they stop. And smoking is a lot more harmful than "background music". Saying that, I must agree that background music is a scourge, luckily I know pubs where it is banned (any Wetherspoons pub for example).

And for the whole sound quality thing? Obviously this solution is going to result in a lesser sound quality than a £10K system feeding speaker cables as thick as your legs into £10K speakers. However, I bet your house isn't made of solid titanium, and I bet from time to time you drill a hole in the wall, thus reducing its structural integrity. So it isn't as structurally sound as it could be. Ooooh, must be about to collapse then! :LOL:

Now, I am one who loves high quality audio and video. As I already mentioned, I have a £2k system feeding two rooms (although it is designed as such). However, I took a friend of mine into a branch of Richer Sounds and he honestly could not tell the difference between a midi system and a separates system. To me the difference was obvious, to the point that I thought "they must have this rigged for it to sound THAT bad!". But he couldn't tell. I lost all faith in him for several weeks until I realised that it is his money to waste if his sole aim is to have as many flashing lights and a double tape deck and a mini-disc and a CD and a tuner and a turntable all in one handy bin-sized lump. :evil:

securespark said:
I'm certainly not feeling sorry for myself as a HOH person, but nobody seems to give a tinker's cuss about, amongst others, HOH people. It's only when you or someone close to you has a particular disability that you "wake up" to how others treat you.
Securespark, how do you cope, do you wear a hearing aids, if you don't mind me asking ?

I understand what you're saying and the problem with deafness, it's the only disability which is invisible to others which they can't see and also people do not understand what hearing aids does, they tend to think they shouldn't have any problem with them once wearing them ! All the hearing aids does is to amplifies the deafness louder so they're still deaf with the hearing aids on with missing sounds in which the hearing aid user would be never able to hear them, therefore hearing aids will not restore full hearing.

The unit i suggested has impedance matching circuitry inside and switching is done without the amp seeing any disconnection, Ban if you can tell the difference in sound quality you are in the wrong job and should become a sound engineer, most others will be perfectly happy with the setup.

kendor said:
...most others will be perfectly happy with the setup.
I'm sure they would. Millions of people go to McDonalds, but if this was a cooking forum and somebody said "I need to feed burgers to a dozen of my friends, what should I do", I'd disparage any advice to go and buy a bunch of Big Macs...

Obviously you wouldn't suggest McDonalds, Burger King Whoppers taste much better! ;)

Ban,
As you have no idea of how I operate my garden system, then I cannot see how or why you are accusing me of being a polluter. Actually, when on, any music coming from my deck speakers cannot be heard outside of my garden - I have tested this throughly - I am a considerate neighbour and individual - even to the point of considering others are entitled to their opinion. Why can you not seem to tolerate anyone elses opinion?

I actually dislike piped muzak in PUBLIC places. As you are most unlikely ever to be invited round my place as a guest or tradesman, then what I listen to or decide to have as MY background music has bugger all to do with you!

If you wish to express your opinion in a shop, bar, hotel or whatever by carrying out acts of (as far as the owners would percieve) criminal damage by tampering with their piped muzac systems, thats your choice.

Paul

Ban, you are missing the point mate! what i am saying is would you fork out thousands on a system only to listen to the likes of Oasis etc?

the average person would be perfectly happy with the switcher for normal everyday use.

If they wanted to listen to "perfect sound" whatever that is, they could spend thousands on installing all the most expensive gear they can find (I can see the Hifi salesmen rubbing their hands already), go to the bother to redesign a room totally from scratch ,knocking down walls cause their semi isn't the right shape and then install ugly acoustic panels all over the walls and ceiling, why heck a house isn't for living in it's for listening to music in! glad i've been paying a mortgage all these years and didn't realise this.

if you wish to wreck your house for the pleasure of listening to "the Nolans in concert" that is up to you but to tell everyone else that they should do the same is well .....I remember a fella in germany a few years back telling people what they should do and look where it got him,mein fuhrer!

the original author asked for constructive comments and most people gave it , (oppurtunity for you to use that old old worn out joke again Shirley") Surely it's up to him what he decides to use and what quality of sound he desires.

Another thing is as you get older and the instruments attached to your head don't work as efficiently anymore, what would be the point in investing loads of money on "the best that money can buy" systems anyway? There are a select number of people that have above average hearing and most of these put it to good use in their jobs,mind you there are a few sound engineers out there who definitely have below average hearing , going by what's in the charts these days.

Hi masona

I don't mind talking about my deafness at all.

I have a huge loss in the high fequencies, but can hear perfectly well in the low. Not sure what the cut-off point is (I can't find my chart!).

This means, for example, that I cannot hear most birdsong, and children's voices get lost in a noisy background (eg car).

In fact, that is my biggest problem, hearing 1-2-1 is not too bad, but in an environment with background noise, I'm stuffed.

I have an analogue aid, which is no good because it has an operating "noise", which, being in the low frequencies, I can hear, and it drives me nuts!

Have also invested in a portable amplifier, which I can use to talk to the kids in the car, listen to TV etc.

Currently waiting for digital to be introduced but my PCT, Stockport is slow on the uptake. Another case of NHS postcode lotteries.....

Digi aids are fantastic. They can be programmed to an extremely precise range of frequencies, so it can boost (in my case) the high frequencies and leave the low ones alone, unlike the analogue ones which have a fairly crude level of adjustments.

Digi aids also have a switch that adjusts to the background you're in ie quiet, noisy, traffic etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back