Specific Adapter not working in sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was wondering if there's a reason as to why a specific adaptor plug does not work in any socket in my house. For some reason Calpol Vapour Plug In (basically an adaptor plug with a little heat plate for moist tablets - like the mosquito ones) does not work in any socket. First I thought it was because it was an old plug, then I bought a new one and that also doesn't work. If I wriggle them about the blue light on it flashes on but there doesn't seem to be a position to keep it on. The socket is fine.

Any ideas?

This is very important for sniffly kids and my sleep!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I was wondering if there's a reason as to why a specific adaptor plug does not work in any socket in my house. For some reason Calpol Vapour Plug In (basically an adaptor plug with a little heat plate for moist tablets - like the mosquito ones) does not work in any socket. First I thought it was because it was an old plug, then I bought a new one and that also doesn't work. If I wriggle them about the blue light on it flashes on but there doesn't seem to be a position to keep it on. The socket is fine.

Any ideas?

This is very important for sniffly kids and my sleep!

Thanks.
This sounds confusing. is this what you're referring to or is there something else involved?
Calpol-Vapour-Plug-In-&-Nightlight-A.jpg
If it is nothing else, take it back to the supplier as it sounds faulty.

Sorry, maybe confusing.

Yes, that's it. It's weird how 2 different ones bought over 4 years apart don't work.

Have you tried it in an extension lead? sometimes they are more tolerant.

Does this have to be assembled in any way?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried it in an extension lead? sometimes they are more tolerant.

Does this have to be assembled in any way?

Yes, tried an extension. Nope, no assembly.

It's a pretty old house if that matters. But as I say, nothing else I plug in is effected.

Thanks

Probably made overseas and does not comply to British standards. Does it have a (genuine) CE or UKCA mark?

Last edited:
Good idea

I was wondering if it is something to do with standards, although it's bought from Boots so I'd assume legit

Really! Most of the overseas adapters sold in well known stores are outright dangerous. No fuses, no earth pin, LN reverse are typical faults.

I have had a couple of plugs (for other devices) in the past that were like this, bending one of the positive or negative pins (very slightly) may force it to make proper contact in the socket.

The fact that the blue light comes on if you move the socket around makes me think that the above will work. I normally bend them with pliers.

I have had a couple of plugs (for other devices) in the past that were like this, bending one of the positive or negative pins (very slightly) may force it to make proper contact in the socket.

The fact that the blue light comes on if you move the socket around makes me think that the above will work. I normally bend them with pliers.
There is no positive or negative with AC.

There is. In AC supplies the voltage alternates from positive to negative 50 Times a second.

You have your facts wrong. Again.
Why are you so pedantic? I don’t get facts wrong. There is no positive or negative PIN with AC. Not all AC supplies alternates 50 times a second. In much of the world it is 60, on aircraft 400.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back