speed at the poles?

Correct, wind systems are effectively circular, and any effect you thought would occur is cancelled out.

That's a different argument altogether, I was using the the wind example to rebuff this:-

depends on direction

correct direction then yes

No it can't.

The earth is a closed system in a vacuum, and the winds are part of that system.
Otherwise Hurricanes could affect the earth's rotational speed.
If we were not in a vacuum, that would be another matter.

Sponsored Links
The fact that space is a vacuum is of no relevance to this.
It is very relevant
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. That's how rockets work in space.
True, and if you were to attach a huge/massive rocket to the earth, you could affect the rotation, by a miniscule amount
If the wind was constantly blowing the flagpoles against the rotation of the earth it must have some affect.
None I'm afraid as explained above, wind systems are generally circular, and cancel each other out.
Even though the atmosphere spins in harmony with the earth, which according to coljack means that at the equator the atmosphere is spinning at 1037 mph, if you had a 50 mph wind against rotation it would then be spinning at 987mph. Which would then be slower than the earths rotation and must create a little drag.
The atmosphere's speed is zero relative to the earth, it is only moving at 1037mph relative to a fixed point in space.

The earth's rotational speed is very steady, and according to scientists is slowing by only 2.2 seconds per 100.000 years

True, and if you were to attach a huge/massive rocket to the earth, you could affect the rotation, by a miniscule amount

So a wind against rotation would have the same effect.

None I'm afraid as explained above, wind systems are generally circular, and cancel each other out.

Yes of course, it was a hypothetical example in the first place.

The atmosphere's speed is zero relative to the earth, it is only moving at 1037mph relative to a fixed point in space.

It's zero relative to the earth when it ain't windy, if it were possible to have a 50 mph wind around the globe aginst rotational direction, then it would have an effect. That was the argument I think.

Sponsored Links
do you know i think general discussion has really become watered down recently :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back