Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would the police play down the dangers of speeding?
If breaking the speed limit was such a cause of death, why do most forces operate a 10%+9mph policy for court referral and a 10%+2mph policy driver improvement referral?
Because the lawyers would have a field day with the odd 1mph inaccuracies..Suppose you want to ban breathalyers and seat belts too?

Sponsored Links
Where are you plucking this stuff from...look around,,,everyday ppl speeding everywhere,too close,,in too much hurry to look properly,,whichever you want to dance around it,,,breaking speed limits is a major factor in accidents

In Australia and some places in Israel (?) they are putting pedestrian traffic lights in the pavemants so as those to busy on there mobiles do not have to avert there gaze from there phones and look up

I take it u also do not drive ???

Where are you plucking this stuff from...look around,,,everyday ppl speeding everywhere,too close,,in too much hurry to look properly,,whichever you want to dance around it,,,breaking speed limits is a major factor in accidents

I already posted my source.

It looks like you didn't read it. If you did you'd understand how the data is collected (Police STATS19 reports and the categories they report on RAS50)
You understand that driving too fast for the conditions and breaking the speed limit are not the same?

Nobody here is saying its ok to drive too fast for the conditions.

Because the lawyers would have a field day with the odd 1mph inaccuracies..Suppose you want to ban breathalyers and seat belts too?

10%+2 is 79mph on a motorway. Most people go beyond that in the third lane.

I think you're being a bit ridiculous in suggesting anyone is calling for the removal of seat belts as a requirement.

As for the breathalyser I've no idea what you're getting at. If drink is a component of a road accident then it's already too late and the breathalyser is only of use to indicate it's presence after the fact to require a later blood test or an advanced breath test.

Sponsored Links
why do most forces operate a 10%+9mph policy for court referral and a 10%+2mph policy driver improvement referral?
I would say that was more to do with the law and the courtroom and the vagaries of speedometers and speed detection.

I think you're being a bit ridiculous in suggesting anyone is calling for the removal of seat belts as a requirement.

As for the breathalyser I've no idea what you're getting at. If drink is a component of a road accident then it's already too late and the breathalyser is only of use to indicate it's presence after the fact to require a later blood test or an advanced breath test.

He's anti-speed, regardless of any evidence that it accounts for only a small proportion of incidents. So he's posting up strawmen.

In Australia and some places in Israel (?) they are putting pedestrian traffic lights in the pavemants so as those to busy on there mobiles do not have to avert there gaze from there phones and look up

I take it u also do not drive ???
I’m 56...had license since 19..drive 25k miles a year..2 hours per day average,most days...10 years as service Engr driving all round (UK)...driven round most of Europe..All over California...Cycled all round Europe..No,,apart from that,,,I don’t drive.

He's anti-speed
What the fek does that even mean...I am anti stupid twāts,,ten a penny driving,,accelerating,red lining it,,driving like complete ******* not givin a sh,,t.and killing people and dopes who defend them or think it’s a bit of fun

I’m 56...had license since 19..drive 25k miles a year..2 hours per day average,most days...10 years as service Engr driving all round (UK)...driven round most of Europe..All over California...Cycled all round Europe..No,,apart from that,,,I don’t drive.

Blimey I only asked

Glad to see that in all the years that u have held a licence ect that you have never been guilty of speeding

What the fek does that even mean...I am anti stupid twāts,,ten a penny driving,,accelerating,red lining it,,driving like complete ******* not givin a sh,,t.and killing people and dopes who defend them or think it’s a bit of fun

It's easy to rev the *******s off s motor in first but you won't be doing much more than 30.

Why would the police play down the dangers of speeding?
If breaking the speed limit was such a cause of death, why do most forces operate a 10%+9mph policy for court referral and a 10%+2mph policy driver improvement referral?
Do you think that we should have any speed limits on any roads?

Simple question - yes or no answer

I already posted my source.

It looks like you didn't read it. If you did you'd understand how the data is collected (Police STATS19 reports and the categories they report on RAS50)
You understand that driving too fast for the conditions and breaking the speed limit are not the same?

Nobody here is saying its ok to drive too fast for the conditions.

Simple question - yes or no answer

You can do all of that, and still not speed: happens all of the time.

Yet it's far easier to milk cash for a slam dunk 56 through 50 roadworks on a motorway, so that's what gets enforced.
Which is why every mile of every motorway has virtually empty inside lanes, and tailgating outside lanes, and nothing changes.

Yet it's far easier to milk cash for a slam dunk 56 through 50 roadworks on a motorway, so that's what gets enforced.
Which is why every mile of every motorway has virtually empty inside lanes, and tailgating outside lanes, and nothing changes.

Simple question - yes or no answer.

I actually thought the EU were looking at the speed restrictors along with the emerging technology of driverless cars, ie cameras that prevent getting too close to the car in front etc.

The problem is that driving at a safe speed, means constant change of speed during a journey. driving at 30 miles an hour in a 30 limit is not a safe speed, its just the maximum legal speed limit.

You only have to be driving a 1 mile an hour to pull out in front of a cyclist at a junction and kill the rider.

In general, yes if we stuck to the speed limit, there would be less deaths, but its only part of the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back