speedfit pipe with no inserts....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted a new bathroom suite suite today and swapped the plastic pipe over for copper. NO INSERTS USED but its been there for years the customer told me and never had leaks...

Any opinions on this as i was under the assumption they would leak with no inserts.

thanks

Sponsored Links
thats the funny thing, they have a combi system installed and still no leaks.

Sponsored Links
i remove plastic pipe work with out inserts regulary,, both on mains cold or hot water ,, many have been there for years,, ive even seen it with out inserts on central heating,,, but also have been to heating were its blown off ,,, this is usually new build,,, where the owner have just moved in ,,, it would appear to me that the hotter the pipe work and the higher the pressure ,,, they are most li to blow off ,,, one better is i even come across stainless and chrome tube with push fit on usually on showers which im told been there years

strange isnt it, i honestly thought they were guaranteed to fail without inserts.
But i think the speedfit PEX pipe is pretty solid enough without them as when i insert them i dont really see or feel the difference but its worth using them just for the peace of mind.

Effectively its the barbs on the Speedfit couplings which have, in this case, prevented dismounting and I guess there's a certain amount of luck here.
Likewise, if the Speedfit pipe is used in a standard brass compression coupling it could well hold - but the use of an insert prevents (or should do) the collapse of the pipe wall.
I've never had this product fail (touching wood etc) but I don't use the inserts more than once and prefer not to trust any pipe ends that have been scored.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back