speeding fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
You may not have crashed your car yet - but you may next year and double speed = quadruple impact. It's schoolboy physics mate. You never know when the day might come when a tractor emerges from a hidden gate - but can you stop? Less reaction time. Longer stopping distances? Bigger impact if you can't. You've just been lucky so far.

I'll make it really simple for you!

The top one is still too quick for the conditions.

The bottom one is safer.

Road_condition_V2.jpg

But if you do one day crash - then your silly speed will probably kill you. It's simple physics: Double your speed and quadruple your impact energy.

Is that perhaps a bit over simplistic? Do people always crash at the speed at which they have been travelling beforehand, or do they generally slow down before the impact? Do you have any figures for any sort of correlation between pre-crash travelling speed and impact speed? I don't, but my guess is that other than situations where people fall asleep at the wheel, they probably vary wildly.

That's like saying you smoked for 30 years and didn't get cancer - you might next year though.

You may not have crashed your car yet - but you may next year and double speed = quadruple impact. It's schoolboy physics mate. You never know when the day might come when a tractor emerges from a hidden gate - but can you stop? Less reaction time. Longer stopping distances? Bigger impact if you can't. You've just been lucky so far.

Joe, do you believe that driving at the speed limit will guarantee that none of the scenarios you describe will ever result in any harm?

Sponsored Links
If everyone travels at the same speed and leaves a safe gap then the likelihood of a collision is lowered. Common sense will tell you that much. Just look at the middle lane of a motorway. If you get a ****** jumping in and out of the middle lane so they can speed - then you get a problem.

If everyone travels at the same speed and leaves a safe gap then the likelihood of a collision is lowered. Common sense will tell you that much. Just look at the middle lane of a motorway. If you get a ****** jumping in and out of the middle lane so they can speed - then you get a problem.
Not sure I follow that, to be honest! If everyone travels at the same speed and leaves a safe gap, I don't think it would make a tractor any more or less likely to pull out of an unseen entrance?

Also, I see people pulling into and out of the middle lane on motorways all the time. If they pull from the middle lane to the outer one, they generally increase speed (and often to a speed in excess of the limit) and if they pull out of it and into the inside lane, they generally travel slower. I'm not sure that makes someone a ******? If someone DID want to speed, I'd much prefer they DIDN'T stay in the middle lane to do it!

If a topic was ever done to death, this is the one.

Please let it disappear into oblivion.

If everyone travels at the same speed and leaves a safe gap then the likelihood of a collision is lowered. Common sense will tell you that much.
Recognition of one of the many circumstances I refer to at last. :rolleyes:

Just look at the middle lane of a motorway. If you get a ****** jumping in and out of the middle lane so they can speed - then you get a problem.
If you get a ****** jumping in and out of the middle lane at 70mph or less you get a potentially fatal problem, and that is not speeding. So what's your point?

If you drive carefully and with consideration for others you are less likely to get a problem. Here a quick list off the top of my head of the bad elements: -

Driver has had a drink, (or too much drink and/or drugs). Combine that with youth and I'd rather stay at home when they are on the road.

Driver has poor eyesight or is carrying an illness or injury from an operation etc. (There is no MOT for drivers).

The car has a bald tyre or more. (Tyres not correctly inflated).

It’s raining, snowing, dark, going down a steep hill, people and erratic children are present, there’s parked cars, there’s a junction or driveway ahead etc. etc.

The driver is distracted by fiddling with something in the car or distracted by people and events in the car. A report in MCN some time ago found this can be anything up to 7 seconds! (I've seen drivers like that on motorways, wandering across the road and even touching the curb while texting or talking). But even if it's just one second you have lost a distance such that it will make the difference between life and death, just as going too fast for the conditions will.

I could list more, but I wont.

How does a speed camera help address all these points? Ans: It doesn't. Speed is just one element in a gamut of road usage and abusage yet the one and only thing you focus on is speed and to hell with the rest. You haven’t mentioned any of the other things which are so vitally important or acquiesce that they are equally as important as speed.

I'm not trying to fall out with you over this Joe and like I have said I am truly sorry and saddened for anyone who has lost someone to a RTA or been dealt a life sentence. But if the best you can do is keep throwing speed kills back at me and ignore the efforts and reasoning behind my posts I'm happy to call it stalemate and anyone who hasn't got bored with this yet can make their own minds up.

TBH you are coming across with such an irrational and, at times, obtuse argument I don’t know if you are not just a wind up merchant, so don’t be surprised if I don’t get back to you on this one again.

Take care and drive safely. I wouldn't want to see you, or anyone else here, as a patient...

You see that button called 'ignore' :rolleyes:

Don't read books on knitting if you're not interested in it. No one is forcing you...

You're going going to read this too aren't you?

You see that button called 'ignore' :rolleyes:

Don't read books on knitting if you're not interested in it. No one is forcing you...

You're going going to read this too aren't you?

The ignore button allows you to ignore individuals, not topics/threads. :rolleyes:

I bet you are going going to read this too aren't you. :rolleyes:

I bet you are going going to read this too aren't you. :rolleyes:
Unlike you, I am interested in the subject. So yes, why wouldn't I read it?

You, by contrast, have declared your lack of interest so...

You see your inbox which notifies you of a new post on a specific thread? :rolleyes:

You can derail it if you want. That's what posters often do when they are bored of the subject matter and/or poster...

I'm happy to address any further posts which are on topic and not trolling.

Safe distances - young drivers ... blah bloody blah . Just come to Sussex and see the worst ...of everything :rolleyes: Specially Bexhill :LOL:

Well if you want to make driving safer than the cars should be designed with in-built danger features , eg no safety belts & an in built spike sticking out of the centre of the steering wheel , that would keep your attention every one except those with a death wish would be travelling at walking pace ( maybe) every one would be compelled to wear a crash helmet , motor cyclists would be compelled to strap there B***s to the bike and not were crash helmets or body armour !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back