spilt diesel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a few month ago i put too much diesel in the tank and some ran down the side. this was immediatly cleaned with soapy water. but for some reason, you can still see where i split it. its been they the carwash about 8 times since it hapened, but when the car is dirty(like now) its still wet so you can see it a mile away. any idea how to get rid of this?

Sponsored Links
Its called a bucket of hot soapy water and a sponge and a bit of elbow grease. Usually does the trick. :cool:

crafty1289 said:
Its called a bucket of hot soapy water and a sponge and a bit of elbow grease. Usually does the trick. :cool:

but that has been done. its just that part of the car seems to hold water and stay damp so it can easily be seen

andy said:
crafty1289 said:

but that has been done. its just that part of the car seems to hold water and stay damp so it can easily be seen
I was just emphasising the point that you're a lazy get ;) :rolleyes: :LOL: have you waxed/polished the car recently? maybe that might help it. If not, something strong like tar remover might do some magic. Check it suitable for paintwork first :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like oily residue that the car wash or detergent won't shift.
Try a good quality car polish like autoglym or Mer

Brasso acts like a mild cutting compound.. I am unsure of this if you have mettalic paint ...
Then good auto polish.
Here's a list to start with ...
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/s/880/wax+polish+14155.html

PS. If you do not have mettalic paint but do have a 'rub' mark, try Brasso it will usually clean up.... a mild T-Cut you could say.
:D

mlb3c said:
spill some more.....be creative! You won't notice! :LOL:
are diesel cars common in the US? I'd say about 1/3 of the cars in this country are Diesel.

pickles said:

i actually have some polish lyin around. will try that later

You'll have a lot more joy with a proprietary degreaser such as "Jizer" which is popular in the motor trade. It shouldn't damage your paint but you need to thoroughly rinse off after use to be on the safe side. Then polish.

empip said:
Brasso acts like a mild cutting compound.. I am unsure of this if you have mettalic paint ...
Did you know Brasso is great for getting scratches off a glass watch face? takes a good deal of rubbing but even quite bad scratches will eventually come out.

keyplayer said:
You'll have a lot more joy with a proprietary degreaser such as "Jizer" which is popular in the motor trade. .
Lets have a can on every roundabout so the knobhead van drivers can clean their spilt diesel off the road before it kills more bikers :eek:

pickles said:

I've used Mer and top be honest I think it's pants. It's dead easy to put on but it's very easy to come off too - it doesn't last 5 minutes. Autoglym is a bit better but if you want a long lasting shine then you need to use something that's hard work to put on like Simoniz Original Wax. You can ruin a Sunday morning by putting this stuff on you car but you only need to do it once about every 9 months so it's well worth the effort. As the saying goes - there's no such thing as a free lunch. You only get out what you put in.
Obviously now I have a Tranny, that doesn't get polished at all - you treat em nice and they **** on you!
Gcol
p.s. to remove the stain, try white spirit or meths, then polish (but not with Mer)

gcol said:
pickles said:

I've used Mer and top be honest I think it's pants. It's dead easy to put on but it's very easy to come off too - it doesn't last 5 minutes. Autoglym is a bit better but if you want a long lasting shine then you need to use something that's hard work to put on like Simoniz Original Wax. You can ruin a Sunday morning by putting this stuff on you car but you only need to do it once about every 9 months so it's well worth the effort. As the saying goes - there's no such thing as a free lunch. You only get out what you put in.
Obviously now I have a Tranny, that doesn't get polished at all - you treat em nice and they s**t on you!
Gcol

Agree with you about the Mer, much over rated, but I swear by autoglym. You can see the rain beading up for months, Simoniz sounds too much like hard work. I once had a really good polish in a spray and can't remember what it was. Iv'e been buying endless bottles of crap ever since trying to find it again
p.s. to remove the stain, try white spirit or meths, then polish (but not with Mer)

Sponsored Links
Back