Spinning starter motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you turn the key on the Mrs's Nissan Terrano the s/motor spins but doesn't engage Any ideas? Its a pig of a job to get at!!! I have just put a new s/motor on my old Transit works van but lookin' into the engine bay of the Terrano it seems impossible to get at ,,,

Sponsored Links
For reasons unknown, it sounds like the mechanism that shoots the starter drive gear into contact with the flywheel ring gear has called it a day.....pretty unusual really, it's usually the solenoid that packs in first.
Sorry can't help with the access but it's probably from underneath somehow.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info ;) I think its a trip to the garage, let them do it, I have tried to source a starter motor and have been told it is best to get the s/motor off and match the numbers on the old one to the new one!! As there are a couple of types for the engine I have. :rolleyes: And they are not cheap...Still thanks for your input,,,,

What sort of nick is the battery in, Roy?
Just for interest, have you tried jump starting from another car?

You can get starters refurbed. Might work out cheaper if you can do without the car for the extra time.

The car is 2002 Terrano 2.7 td sport engine only done about 40000 so is worth a bit of money spent on it John, ;) Think I will take it to the garage now Alan, see what they think when the starter motor comes out. Thank you all for your input.. ;) Ps..I did put the nippers 12volt battery pack on it and same thing , s/motor just spinned..

Theoretically that can't happen because the pinion is engaged by the solenoid and it can't close the contacts to power the motor until its engaged, but on yours it obviously is. Seems to suggest something is broken, either the pinion or the flywheel gear ring, does it have a DMF?

Peter

My thoughts exactly, Peter!
I was wondering if low battery current may close the solenoid contacts, but not shove the pinion completely into engagement.
As the thing sounds such a swine to change, It would be unfortunate if it didn't need it at the end of the day!

On the ones I have had apart John the contacts have been at the far end of the solenoid so pretty complete engagement is required to close them although I suppose its possible for the small amount of current flowing through the series coil to turn it slowly.

They may not all be the same of course.

Peter

I have got the motor booked into a garage tomorrow,(weather permitting) but also have found out that the electric window motor is not working and you can hear the motor running but no movement on the window!! How come women never tell you about things that have gone wrong in their cars till you either drive it or have to take it to a garage for something else?

One of the great mysteries of life, Roy :p
Unfortunately it's likely that the drive gear on the window winder has stripped, and they aren't cheap either! This commonly happens when trying to wind the window down when it's frozen shut.
Anyway, let's know what happens, and be lucky! Sounds like you deserve it.

Two motors doing the same thing - reckon you have a virus, :)

Peter
Yes Peter, could be something that's "not" going around, just hope the nippers Metro doesn't catch it ;) Just dropped the motor off at the garage will await info on the list I gave them... :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back