spitfires overhead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ruislip might be a sh!thole but where else do you see spitfires flying overhead?

I wasn't born until the 70's but I soon as I heard their engines just now I rushed out to marvel in their (possibly ahoc) show.

Could only have been bettered if I was sitting in the pub garden at the time...

Sponsored Links
Lived in the sixties in North Nottingham with the nightly fly over of a Vulcan on test from Hucknall...Helluva sight and sound at 500 feet directly overhead.

Filton, Bristol...

There used to be two Spitfires, one Merlin and one Griffon engined varient but IIRC think the Griffon one only remains.

There is also a P51 Mustang there decked out in Metal finish, and what with the new road layout taking right alongside the apron gives you pretty good vantage points when they are all out of the hanger.

In the last couple of years their use has been significantly reduced but even this spring you could hear/see the sights of them practicing routines, the throttle back and the "Pop....Pop...BANG" as they circuited to land.

Be quick though as Filton airfield closes end of 2012.

I have no idea where they normally live. Great to see them though, one of the few sights that brings the kid in me out.

One was the "standard" brown green and the other was blue (perhaps a hurricane). I am many things but a plane spotter isn't one of them.

BTW isn't an plane (or possibly aeroplane) part of the wing structure, rather than the correct name for the type of aircraft?

Sponsored Links
Northolt is not a million miles from me and I see them coming over too.

SAw a Vulcan at extreme low level when a child fishing in Dorset, was amazing.
Oh holiday in the Lake District again fishing and a Tornado came over about 200 ft we all nearly fell into the lake!!!
Crossing another lake we had two F15`s doing that "Top Gun" chase and barrel roll, again amazing.

Anyone see the last "Queens Flight" the Lanscater and the spits, way to go !!!!!

We get the lancaster doing a fly by ever year to honour the squadron that was based in our village during the war. It centres its display over the church which we look ou onto so we get a grandstand view.

We also stumbled across the vulcan practising its routine at RAF scampton before the waddingham airshow.
View media item 38189
I used to watch the red arrows practising on my lunch break when i worked in lincoln too.

Northolt is not a million miles from me and I see them coming over too.

Anyone see the last "Queens Flight" the Lanscater and the spits, way to go !!!!!

Someone told me that the only reason that we don't see the Lancaster at Northolt is that the flight path would take it (low) over the church tower on Harrow-on-the-Hill (and thereby risk damaging the steeple).

The only military aircraft we are guaranteed to see, day in day out, are the Britten-Norman Islander listening planes. Frankly they look like a starter's Airfix kit.

Oh holiday in the Lake District again fishing and a Tornado came over about 200 ft we all nearly fell into the lake!!!
Crossing another lake we had two F15`s doing that "Top Gun" chase and barrel roll, again amazing.
In Brittany, the French airforce use the area around there for some of their training. A couple of years ago, whilst replacing the roof, I nearly fell off a couple of times, with their low-flying antics. I'm sure, if I'd been quick enough, I could have waved at the pilots.

you can't beat a vulcan or a lanc/spit/hurricane combo... but i also love seeing a chinook... something amazing about them beasts (especially if they've just turned uo to get you out of a combat zone!!)

You guys ought to go to raf coningsby,typhoon conducting a performance take off is awesome(although not guaranteed).

Sponsored Links
Back