Splitting Freeview Signal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to split the Freeview signal from the digibox so that I can feed the TV in the kitchen (the nipper likes Ballamory in the morning :rolleyes: ) but can't seem to find the signal on the kitchen TV.
The TV is fairly old so not sure if it is 'capable' of picking up the freeview signal. Is the freeview signal different to the normal analogue signal?
The analogue signal is picked up fine through the split fed RF cable in the kitchen, but when trying to tune the TV for the freeview i cannot find the signal. The set up is like this:

Incoming aerial signal (freeview & analogue) ---> Freeview box--->Video---> signal split to lounge TV and Kitchen TV

Usual scart sockets connect TV, freeview box and video.

Any ideas anyone?[/img]

Sponsored Links
Dustyy said:
signal split to lounge TV and Kitchen TV

How have you done this?. Taking the aerial connector and splitting it will not give you a freeview output. Many freeview boxes do not send the signal from the second aerial outlet it is just a passthru from the aerial input.

I think this is where my limited knowledge on these things is reaching its limit :confused: My reasoning on splitting the signal was based on the fact that we used to have ntl cable and managed to split that signal ok using a splitter connector box. I know the issue is somewhat more complicated now as the freeview signal is carried with the analogue signal. So to answer your question, the output from the video is split using a splitter connector (can't remember exact name for it as I am work).
Is this the correct way of splitting the freeview signal?

OK, So you are feeding the video with the scart input. How is your lounge tv fed. Is it with a scart lead, either from the freeveiw or video or is it with a piece of coax (aerial cable) from the coax output of the video?

To satisfy yourself that the signal is working ok, remove any scart signals from your tv and just use the aerial from the video. At least you will know that this is sending the signal correctly.

If the above is working ok, bring the kitchen tv into the lounge take the output from the video that is going to the lounge tv and without the splitter make sure the kitchen tv is tuning in ok.

It could also be a problem with signal quality, depending upon you length of cable used in your runs. Splitting the signal often reduces the quality, you may need to consider putting in a powered signal booster/splitter box.

Sponsored Links
im not an expert, but you need to find which RF channel your freeview box outputs on. If you have scart connectors from freeview to main TV, chances are, you may not have even tuned the TV into the RF freeview signal.

Once you have found which channel it transmits on, you can tune the kitchen TV into that signal. Make sure freeview is switched on to a non-analogue channel (eg. E4) and preferably, have the living room TV on loud so you can hear what your searching for too, so you know when you've found it.

I'm a bit of an expert in this field,

What make and model is the box? this'll help me determine if the box actually has the RF modulator required for you to do this. The chances are, it won't.

Hi Saxton,
The freeview box is the Sony VTX-D800U.
I have partly carried out the suggestions from other comments, but not had chance to disconnect the scart leads yet. I suspect the signal is all going through scart leads, however the kitchen tv still receives the analgue channels though the split aerial just fine.....but no freeview signal is picked up.
Cheers for any further advice you can offer.

Dustyy

Dusty, Have you tried tuning the tv to find freeview?
THe easy way to do this put any channel on with a logo at the top ie ITV3 then tune TV to find it.

Hi Dustyy,

Unfortunately you're out of luck, the Sony VTX-D800U, although a brilliant box, doesn't have the required RF Modulator for you to do this.

You can however, purchase external RF Modulators, that take input via a scart socket and output to an RF socket.

If the Freeview box is connected to the video by SCART cables, would setting the video to AV1 not give Freeview at its RF output ? Then the kitchen telly could be tuned into that ?

(This is a question, not an answer, btw.... :D - does a video player remodulate its SCART input is, a better way of putting it)

Thanks for your replies people.
Gosh and darn it Saxton, you're right it is a brilliant box, but why oh why did they not but in an RF modulator :confused: Couldn't add that much to production costs surely. Cheers for suggested fix though, i will try jtaunton's tip first (as its a poss free fix, and if not, down to my local leccy shop it is. Can you get splitter box's for scart cable, only two scart outputs from the freeview box.

jtaunton - thanks for your suggestion, will give it a go.

Dustyy

jtaunton's suggestion will work, it'll do the job perfectly.

It's just slightly awkward and you'll not be able to record onto the VCR and watch FreeView at the same time, but, give it a bash and see what happens.

'tis likely that i will want to record on the VCR and watch Freeview at the same time so I will look into the splitter option. :)
Just to clarify, :confused: , is it just the freeview signal that needs the rf modulator bit, as i can receive the analogue channels on the kitchen tv ok from the freeview box?

yes, that's right.

The RF Out on the freeview box is exactly the same as what's passed in, it's just looped through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back