Spot the error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing some alterations to a fairly large B&B.

Needed to isolate a socket circuit from this sub-mained fuseboard.

Spot the obvious errors? (other than the fact it is old and very untidy).

1262878899.jpg

1262878898.jpg

Sponsored Links
The B40 on a fuseboard with a maximum rating of 60A and what's going on at the bottom of the main switch or is that cable just fed in behind it?

There is insufficient information provided to say without doubt the picture demonstrates the error Lectrician is looking for.

There is insufficient information provided to say without doubt the picture demonstrates the error Lectrician is looking for.
I thought that on a max 60A rated fuseboard (sticker in bottom corner) that you couldn't have any fuse greater than 30A? :oops:

Also the left hand fuse has a 32A fuse with three cores, the next has only one. Looks to be in 2.5mm².

One leg from the ring put in the wrong fuse?

Sponsored Links
Ah, but that isn't the answer he is looking for.

Well I don't think it is....

I could be wrong of course.

The cable out the 40A Fuse looks under sized to me!!!

The first 30A either has a ring and a radial coming out of it all on 2.5mm, so the radial is under size or as mentioned earlier.

therefore the second 30A appears to have a 2.5 radial also and the last 30A is also a radial

The fuses are not inrated order, mixed fuse types.

I agee the 40A shouldn't really be in there as the board is 60A

are there some screws missing out the isolator as well?

The first 30A either has a ring and a radial coming out of it all on 2.5mm, so the radial is under size or as mentioned earlier.

It might only feed a single socket, in which case it should be treated no differently to a single spur from the ring.

The cable out the 40A Fuse looks under sized to me!!!
There are 2, so it might be a compliant parallel circuit.

therefore the second 30A appears to have a 2.5 radial also and the last 30A is also a radial
Or maybe there's a ring with each end in it's own fuse/MCB?

Whatever has been done the best to be hoped for is 2 rings and 3 single-socket spurs/radials (or some single fixed loads), but with 7 conductors split 3-1-3 over 3 devices all manner of nasties could be going on.

Don't think we should be too definite about cable sizes though, because there may be some camera angle/lens characteristic issues - none of the blacks look the same size as the reds.

Terminal shrouds missing on incomer.
Excessive conductor length showing on incomers.
As has been said, B40 in a 60A CU - max 32A per way and what look like 2 x 2.5mm in it.
Incorrect order of neutrals and earths? There is what looks like a 10 or 16mm earth in there, what is this for?
No RCD protection

Terminal shrouds missing on incomer.
That doesn't matter in this picture anyway - the isolator is on :eek:

Apart from general untidyness there's nothing there that looks out of place and couldn't be explained by the design of the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back